Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why is my vx taking so much petrol?

justagirl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I have a 2000 model VX commodore. I fill up at least twice a week if not more, and I am only driving locally..

I am sick of spending so much money..

Can some one please tell me what this is, everytime I see a mechanic, they take my money and say they have fixed the problem, only for it to still be the same :hmmm:

DJP16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
How many km's do you roughly get from a tank? And what have the mechanics efforts been? Don't forget, a 3.8l v6 isn't going to give you the most amazing fuel economy..... :p

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
how much do you pay to fill it up(empty to full).. how many k's do you get out of it?? if you dont know use the trip meter to calculate it on your next tank

mines manual and i pay roughly $100-110 from empty to full

and if i baby it (rev to roughly 2500-300rpm eahc gear) i get around 700km's per tank. hope this helps :)

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Depends how you drive partly but my VT V6 feels like it uses twice as much fuel as my VN V6 did. If its auto that could be slipping and causing it to rev higher, check your air filter too, apparently you get better economy with a new filter than a old dirty one but I don't think it would be a massive difference. Have you ruled out any of the cylinders not getting spark or a bad injector?

Probably a lot of other things but that's all I can think of at the moment.

justagirl86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks for the replies, but I really don't know what most of your are talking about.. :hmmm:

I found this forum while looking on google..

I fill the car at least twice a week, I put around $100 each time.. and the needle thing on the fule gage goes up and down all the time...

In one day, of driving say no more than a half hour away, and I don't do this every day, the gage goes down by a quater of the tank, then 2 days later it may jump back up.

We have told the few mechanics we have seen about theis problem, and all the say is they have fixed it.. My partner and I have no idea about cars, so we don't know if he does actually look at the problem or not..

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
if the gauge goes up and down randomly then its the fuel gauge sender?!?!?!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Oh I see, sounds like a job for a auto electrician. Probably a fault in the wiring somewhere.

Better off taking it to a auto electrician yourself than taking it to a mechanic even if its just to have a chat and get a quote.

Or take it back to the ones who "fixed" it and tell them that they didn't fix the problem. If they say they wont fix it for free after already charging you ask for your money back as they didn't do what they charged you for.