Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why put the battery in the boot???

Ryback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8 Manual
Just got myself a real nice VL Walkinshaw rep. running a 5l manual out of a 98 SS Commodore running a clubsport management system.

The issue is the batter is been moved to the boot when the upgrade was done last year so when cold the "Beast" (as my 4 year old boy calls it) starts well every time without miss. Get it up to running temp and it a whole different story.

It tries to start but just sounds like a flat battery, if i leave it for 30min, still sounds like a flat battery still but will start.

Car has a new (X large) battery, auto sparkie says it not pulling the amps when hot, standed problem with putting battery in the boot he said.

Looking at putting battery back under the hood, can anyone tell me why this seems to be the "in" thing with v8's and should i leave it there or move it back.

317127_2111659875965_1379674799_31773961_2088683375_n.jpgV8 Holden motor.jpg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Only advantage i know if is to improve the weight distribution from being front heavy to slightly less front heavy. However, that assuming everyone drives with an empty boot all the time, which is the part that i think is stupid. If you value your Boot space and don't want to spend double the price on a boot-safe battery BE A MAN and put it back under the bonnet. If u want this to be a track car keep it in the boot.
Edit : take the boot spoiler off too and you'll save a s_load of fuel and go faster too.... looks like that Walky spoiler must create a shed load of drag.
Flame suit on from all the Walky fans.

Last edited:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
most ppl do it to remove the ugly thing from the engine bay or for clearance for intercooler pipes etc....

can u run a thicker gauge wire to handle the amps needed. could b something like this.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
^ This.

Battery in boot generally equal tidier engine bay.

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
hmm well if the car was factory v8 there would of moved the battery due to your airbox sitting where the battery is. factory vl 5ltrs had them in the passenger side. factory rb30 in the drivers side

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Can you check it for error codes. The car not starting when warm has nothing to do with battery unless the battery is stuffe some where it can't breath and is getting charged mega amps making it cook.

Lazza78

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
first Q Ryback is there a negative battery lead running from the block to the battery in the boot(like how the positive lead is running from front to back) or is the battery just earthed in the boot and the engine earthed to the chassis ??

i found this same issue with a mates car and once running a negative lead from the block to the battery(also have the block earthed to the chassis up front on opp side of engine) the car would start with no issues at all(even after a 20min thrash at powercruise)...

hope this helps u mate

Ryback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8 Manual
hmm well if the car was factory v8 there would of moved the battery due to your airbox sitting where the battery is. factory vl 5ltrs had them in the passenger side. factory rb30 in the drivers side

THanks for this was talking to the builder... It was a factory RB and he thought it was "cool" to have the battery in the boot.

Ryback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8 Manual
Thanks guys this has given me food for thought.

I will have to see how this is earthed, before i go and change things as it could just be a little change to the earth layout.

Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
If its only when hot it will be one of the following.

Starter motor solenoid is on its way out, Or (and im not 100% on RB's) crank angle sensor or hall effect sensor.
As mentioned above, double check all your earths, because that might be effecting it a little bit.

As for battery in the boot, it mostly gets done for clenliness. Ive done it a few times, makes the bay look 100 times better IMHO