Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why you need choice of repairer insurance policy

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m am so sick and tired of trades not doing anything properly. Mechanics that break stuff to do a job and try hide it. Parts swapping with no evidence for it or data. The list goes on and on. It doesn’t even come down to what you pay. Half arse everything. Get paid. Who cares. So we go to someone else and surprise surprise, crap workmanship again.

it’s all trades.

Totally agree, the customer needs more freedom of choice and trades need to be held accountable for poor workmanship in a manner that isn’t like attempting a physics degree, and by trade certifiers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep hearing you there Fu.... And then charge you to fix something that they were supposed to initially address while everything was apart....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A good panel shop won't generally return a car that isn't right, they'll tend to take longer to finish the job and make excuses for why it took a week longer than expected, but that's ok if the job's mint. When they return a car that isn't right like this, I get the car out of there ASAP and add them to my "crap panel shop" list. If they try to give a poor quality job, they're no good, waste of time and generally incapable of getting it right.

I wouldn't use this panel shop by choice , but I was forced to use them to effect a Holden parts warranty job no different than an insurance company enforcing the use of their repairers.

Surely you have the choice whether you collect the car with a crap job being done, regardless of whether it was your choice of repairer or not?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Recently had our fuse panel updated. Solar was wired with a 16amp fuse instead of 32amp. Wire gauge was grossly undersized. Came down to luck that nothing bad happened. 4 GPO's installed incorrectly and 1 damaged, outside wiring exposed to water and submerging at times was not weather proofed. AC circuit not checked.

3 Electricians failed to find arcing fault from pump wiring in water in AC. Wiring was twisted together and wrapped with masking tape. Last electrician finds the fault and fixes with crimp terminals we use to do really bad wiring in cars. Still arcs in water! Burning smell keeps happening. I find it myself and fix it with correct parts.
AC inlet pipe burst flooding roof. insurance plumber failed to isolate the water. Happened again. A second plumber failed to locate a faulty leaking inlet valve contributing to the problem. roof wrecked again. So I overhauled the AC myself using installation guides and the correct parts. I discover the "clean" we also paid for was not actually done. Last service guy nearly pulled gutter off because didn't want to use a ladder to access roof. "See ya mate". Did that myself instead.

Electrician fails to put sensor in the centre of garage door. Off centre. Look at it every time I come home. Did not put a switch in that can turn off the sensor light. Broke the ridge capping above the fuse box, didn't replace roof tiles elsewhere after job.

Another electrician failed to cover a junction in the roof space. Broke the ac ducting while they were at it.

Plumbers replacing taps at mums that were just replaced and ripping her off three times what they should have charged.

We had a repair to our Calais that needed correcting 3 times at handover. Then the clear peeled over much of the car because of aggressive buffing. Had that done again by OUR CHOICE OF REPAIRER who gave 10yr warranty on the clear, whole car was resprayed in the high metallic version of the colour to fix what was originally a small area. All because of crap workmanship. It got the better colour because they stuffed up and mixed the wrong one. Had get more painted on the car to our advantage, meaning full respray. The failed to centre rear badge and broke other badges.

Get window tint replaced under warranty, back window gets damaged. Replace rear window and they damage interior trims and brake light.

Get break light fixed and they damage more stuff.

Started teaching myself auto electrics after I was charged $250 (in 1990) to fix a parking light with butt connectors and silicone.

Transmission rebuilt on the VE and that fails 2yrs later. Under warranty. Business closed down.

Get gearbox rebuilt again, they break other stuff. I fix it myself so its done right.

ACCC needs more power to resolve issues.
Trade Associations need to have greater accountability to certifications of businesses and workmanship.
The public needs easier access to independent experts to resolve issues with evidence.
e.g. Electrician doesn't do job to basic standards, ACCC say consumer not qualified to make that call, and they can't do anything until its proven. Consumer has no access to the standards without paying $100's of dollars. No win situation for consumer.

Car gets painted, crap job done. Consumer should be able to get trade association to go over it independently and assess if it was or not. Repairer in association gets warned, or after multiple poor standards, struck for registration in trade.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sorry, that was a bit "ranty"

Have you broken a few mirrors, had a few black cats walk in front of you and walked under a few ladders? .The bad luck you have had seems to suggest that...:) There is another saying referring to nuns, but I won't put that in....It can be seen as very offensive and extremely bad taste..

An attempt at humour...Hope it worked :p

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Recently had our fuse panel updated. Solar was wired with a 16amp fuse instead of 32amp. Wire gauge was grossly undersized. Came down to luck that nothing bad happened. 4 GPO's installed incorrectly and 1 damaged, outside wiring exposed to water and submerging at times was not weather proofed. AC circuit not checked.

3 Electricians failed to find arcing fault from pump wiring in water in AC. Wiring was twisted together and wrapped with masking tape. Last electrician finds the fault and fixes with crimp terminals we use to do really bad wiring in cars. Still arcs in water! Burning smell keeps happening. I find it myself and fix it with correct parts.
AC inlet pipe burst flooding roof. insurance plumber failed to isolate the water. Happened again. A second plumber failed to locate a faulty leaking inlet valve contributing to the problem. roof wrecked again. So I overhauled the AC myself using installation guides and the correct parts. I discover the "clean" we also paid for was not actually done. Last service guy nearly pulled gutter off because didn't want to use a ladder to access roof. "See ya mate". Did that myself instead.

Electrician fails to put sensor in the centre of garage door. Off centre. Look at it every time I come home. Did not put a switch in that can turn off the sensor light. Broke the ridge capping above the fuse box, didn't replace roof tiles elsewhere after job.

Another electrician failed to cover a junction in the roof space. Broke the ac ducting while they were at it.

Plumbers replacing taps at mums that were just replaced and ripping her off three times what they should have charged.

We had a repair to our Calais that needed correcting 3 times at handover. Then the clear peeled over much of the car because of aggressive buffing. Had that done again by OUR CHOICE OF REPAIRER who gave 10yr warranty on the clear, whole car was resprayed in the high metallic version of the colour to fix what was originally a small area. All because of crap workmanship. It got the better colour because they stuffed up and mixed the wrong one. Had get more painted on the car to our advantage, meaning full respray. The failed to centre rear badge and broke other badges.

Get window tint replaced under warranty, back window gets damaged. Replace rear window and they damage interior trims and brake light.

Get break light fixed and they damage more stuff.

Started teaching myself auto electrics after I was charged $250 (in 1990) to fix a parking light with butt connectors and silicone.

Transmission rebuilt on the VE and that fails 2yrs later. Under warranty. Business closed down.

Get gearbox rebuilt again, they break other stuff. I fix it myself so its done right.

ACCC needs more power to resolve issues.
Trade Associations need to have greater accountability to certifications of businesses and workmanship.
The public needs easier access to independent experts to resolve issues with evidence.
e.g. Electrician doesn't do job to basic standards, ACCC say consumer not qualified to make that call, and they can't do anything until its proven. Consumer has no access to the standards without paying $100's of dollars. No win situation for consumer.

Car gets painted, crap job done. Consumer should be able to get trade association to go over it independently and assess if it was or not. Repairer in association gets warned, or after multiple poor standards, struck for registration in trade.

#qualifiedprofessionals

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
#qualifiedprofessionals
Well all have been qualified professionals. However when those skills and standards are not met, there’s no recourse for the consumer without going to extraordinary effort, research and cost to get something done how it should be.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Well all have been qualified professionals. However when those skills and standards are not met, there’s no recourse for the consumer without going to extraordinary effort, research and cost to get something done how it should be.

I get that.....my # was sarcastic.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I get that.....my # was sarcastic.
Oh. Oh well I’m shocked, I missed that. I love that stuff. Sorry. And I’m not even being /S.