Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wideband o/2 sensor Placement

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
anyway because ive been lazy it hasnt been up here sooner.

basic picture of how it sits under the car.
comes up through passenger sill grommet. and up to the ECU

143308d1339486490-yet-another-vs-ute-wideband-placement.jpg

and thanks to the1.
for telling me how i didnt have to program it to make it run.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Hey guys, I recently picked up one of these with the gauge kit.

I'm using it to help better tune my supercharged alloytec motor.

Am I right in assuming I only have to wire the bung to one side of the exhaust system, before the catalytic converter??

I'm using logging software already to help tune it, do I need to splice into the injector wire or the ECU??

The datalogging atm occurs through the OBD-II port, I data log using a pc with software and the OBD-II cable. I assume it should be fine connected to the ECU?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
doesnt your car run wideband sensors from factory what year is it

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yup just before the cat, one side of it. dont put it at the bottom of the pipe. but 90 degrees is good

from my knowledge you actually replace the wire with that of the wideband (as in thats the only signal going in to get the right reading) but this may be different on yours.
well thats how mine is anyway.
i still have the cable for the injectors there, just terminated in a connector incase i ever remove it and want to replace it.

a while ago when testing it out after it was installed it showed it all correctly (as in the 14.7)
tested it last night, and it wasnt reading right. (either on around 9.3 or 23.9)
so just a hint, its a good thing to free air recalibrate it after a while.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
doesnt your car run wideband sensors from factory what year is it

I believe it does, but no one I know uses them in tuning, not even the dyno tuners, EFI live even said it would be a lot easier with the LC1. Most tuners all put a wideband at the end up the exhaust pipe. Was told by a couple people the LC1 would be a lot easier as it's got the wide band controller anyway. It's a 2008.

yup just before the cat, one side of it. dont put it at the bottom of the pipe. but 90 degrees is good

from my knowledge you actually replace the wire with that of the wideband (as in thats the only signal going in to get the right reading) but this may be different on yours.
well thats how mine is anyway.
i still have the cable for the injectors there, just terminated in a connector incase i ever remove it and want to replace it.

a while ago when testing it out after it was installed it showed it all correctly (as in the 14.7)
tested it last night, and it wasnt reading right. (either on around 9.3 or 23.9)
so just a hint, its a good thing to free air recalibrate it after a while.

What do you mean with the bit I've bolded above?? Scratching my head a bit haha. I assume I just connect it all up as per manual and get it spliced into ECU. Just not sure in my application, if I'm using data log software, if anything changes with the LC1?

So I assume you didn't touch the injectors? That's how I read it.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yeah connect it up.
The Wideband cable replaces that of the Injectors going into the ECU

what i did was cut it clean. the part that was from the injectors put into a connector (electrical item because i have lots of them)
i cut it far enough up, so that if i ever wanted to put it back on, i can easily put in another patch cable without having to worry about getting another ECU pin or the likes.

you then solder the wideband cable onto that tail going into the ECU.
so solder, heatshrink, you get the idea

i do keep getting an error code from it though.
but i know its because of the wideband being in its place.
ive been tempted to actually put in a switch so i can change it from wideband to injectors.
so itll read the injectors normally, but then i can when datalogging put it onto the wideband.
in your case that could mean the gauge will read all the time, but the ECU wont throw up codes from having "incorrect" readings.
moreso just an idea to implement.

hopefully that makes a little bit of sense :p

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
in vs-vy yes it's the injector monitor line that can be used to monitor the wideband afr, but an alloytech is completely different ecu, you would have to see if there is a spare 0-5v input that is monitored by whatever software your using, if not then the next step is to find one already in use that is not really needed and you can use that.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Ok so been installed at a workshop, worked out pretty cheap. Just a question, the gauge works fine. Normally for the tuning software I take logs using the OBD-II port. This now is inactive and doesn't respond. Didn't work on the his OBD scanner either. I left the software at his shop but am I meant to load the software onto my laptop and still use the OBD-II port, or do I do the logging via the LC-1 now instead??

Cheers for the all the help!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you log afr via the lc1 obd2 port should still function as normal for logging the ecu the hard part is syncing the 2 to see afr v's rpm i would of just used the factory o2 input in the logs and use the lc1as a secondary gauge to doublecheck ratio