Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Widened 18" VZ stock wheels

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just a question… if the standard rims are not expensive, isn’t it better to use two rims to make one wide rim with only the one central weld?

You’d have two halves left over that could be used to make a narrow skinny bicycle style rim for that drag car look, again with a single weld. You could narrower it more than the leftovers allow (given how wide you make the widened rims)…

I’d guess that with only one weld, the rims would be stronger and the mod itself could possibly be cheaper (excluding donor rim costs) since only one weld is needed.

Has anybody done such in the USA or is it always with two peripheral welds?

All academics down under since such rims aren’t allowed :rolleyes:

PS: personally I don’t like the drag car skinny front bicycle tyre look. YMMV…

Last edited:

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a question… if the standard rims are not expensive, isn’t it better to use two rims to make one wide rim with only the one central weld?

You’d have two halves left over that could be used to make a narrow skinny bicycle style rim for that drag car look, again with a single weld. You could narrower it more than the leftovers allow (given how wide you make the widened rims)…

I’d guess that with only one weld, the rims would be stronger and the mod itself could possibly be cheaper (excluding donor rim costs) since only one weld is needed.

Has anybody done such in the USA or is it always with two peripheral welds?

All academics down under since such rims aren’t allowed :rolleyes:

PS: personally I don’t like the drag car skinny front bicycle tyre look. YMMV…
Your question is valid and does make a good point. The issue is expense... The factory 18" wheels are expensive in used condition over here so that would increase the cost of this significantly. I got lucky, very lucky, to score a pair for $200 USD shipped. The wheels are normally $200-$300 a piece over here. The factory 17" wheels are cheaper but not by much as of late. I definitely understand your point of only doing 1 weld, but believe me when i tell you, these guys have widened wheels for customers running up to triple the horsepower I am and launching significantly harder than I do. Everyone that handled my wheels after I got them back from the shop commented on how nice the welds looked and how good a job they did.

Now, can you use a different wheel besides the stock wheels to accomplish the one weld idea? I would assume that if that was viable, the shop would have offered it or just done it that way. I don't know much about welding but again, these guys have been doing this for years and are good at what they do. I wouldn't have done this myself because I don't know how and I wouldn't have let just any old shop do this.

I don't know how other shops do this type of work. Like I mentioned before, there was a guy in California in the US doing this but I am pretty sure he retired. Other LS1GTO forum members have mentioned checking out and using other shops local to them to do this but not much info has been posted about the work done. Weldcraft is very popular and well known for their work and I have seen countless pics of wheels they have done for others.

I am not completely sold on the color I chose for PC, so I may change it up at some point for a gunmetal grey type finish. So if and when I do this, I can check the welds out on the inside and see how they are holding up. I.am not anticipating any issues.

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Prefer a bit of sidewall rubber beyond the rim, also protects from minor gutter and road debris.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Prefer a bit of sidewall rubber beyond the rim, also protects from minor gutter and road debris.
The sidewalls actually cover enough of the wheel lip, hard to tell from the pics, but in person it looks sufficient. It isn't a daily driver and I avoid parallel parking whenever possible regardless. I think I can squeeze a 295/35 on the wheel but that is going to be pushing it with regard to inner wheel well clearance. The Michelin 285 fits a 9.5" wheel just right in my opinion.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6