Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wider tyres

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
is there any advantage in putting wider wheels and tyres on the rear end only only? Also, how do you strip old paint off alloy wheels

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
If the car is stock as a rock and low on power, like mine for example, then there
is no point. But if you've got more power then it obviously gives you more contact
with the road and therefore more grip.

As for the paint thing, no idea man, paint stripper???

red_spider

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VXii Exec 9C1
my guess for the paint would be thinners or my personal favorite...hydrochloric acid

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
Not to mention if you have wider tyres on the rear and there directional you wont be able to rotate them for even ware on the tread

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Paint stripper should be fine, read the label to make sure. Hydrochloric acid will eat metal and probably leave the paint.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Wont make much difference for traction. Theres only a certain amount of tread on the road with IRS anyway and it aint much lol.

If you want more traction go and get a 4 point camber correction kit installed, i had mine done years ago and what a difference. Worth every cent and is alot better for tyre wear.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
IBLOWN, thanks for your camber idea. I was thinking about a VY or VZ rear cradle with my diff mounted in it. Only problem is they are still a bit hard to find at a reasonable price. I have an Acclaim wagon. Still trying to find out if the 2003 Statesman cradle will work as I know where there is one available.
accent, I will try stripper on the back of a wheel. Hydrochloric would get through an alloy wheel in about 45 seconds I guess, unless it was watered down to about 10%.

Last edited: