Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Widest & biggest wheel diameter on FE2 suspension without wheel tuck

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Looking to get aftermarket wheels that will
a) Be flush with the guards
b) Be fitted with 35 sidewall ratio tyres
c) Not cause wheel tuck

I'm thinking 20x9.5 but that is based what I've seen on the Monaro.

Any ideas?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
a) Be flush with the guards
b) Be fitted with 35 sidewall ratio tyres
c) Not cause wheel tuck

What is your idea of "wheels tuck"???? You'll never tuck wheels with FE2 suspension...........

So 235/35 will be 19 inch wheels being max. legal diameter. Are your guards rolled?? Cos that'll change the "flush" fitment. Flush wheels with FE2 suspension will look stupid IMHO and you should go lower if that's the look your after.

Got more info on this Monaro with 9.5s? 20" wheels and 35 series tyre are illegal and will throw your speedo out!!!
Generally 9.5s don't fit on the front of pre-VE cars

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
What is your idea of "wheels tuck"???? You'll never tuck wheels with FE2 suspension...........

So 235/35 will be 19 inch wheels being max. legal diameter. Are your guards rolled?? Cos that'll change the "flush" fitment. Flush wheels with FE2 suspension will look stupid IMHO and you should go lower if that's the look your after.

Got more info on this Monaro with 9.5s? 20" wheels and 35 series tyre are illegal and will throw your speedo out!!!
Generally 9.5s don't fit on the front of pre-VE cars

Thanks for replying mate!
This is my idea of wheel tuck...
446.jpg

4171.jpg

Even this I consider wheel tuck...
Commodore-VZ_Ultra_Low_Blue-20inch_wheels.gif

Basically I want every part of the wheel and tire to be visible.

Here is the Monaro I was talking about
downshift.jpg

If I can achieve that look, I would be more than happy.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
That's what I thought, you don't want the wheel/tyres tucking into the guards which is controlled by the suspension, this with never happen with FE2 suspension.

I know that GTO off another forum, I'll look it up and find out for you tonight.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
That's what I thought, you don't want the wheel/tyres tucking into the guards which is controlled by the suspension, this with never happen with FE2 suspension.

I know that GTO off another forum, I'll look it up and find out for you tonight.

Thanks a lot mate!!

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
ok so in his own words as posted on the other forums

pedders adjustable coilovers
19x9.5 wheels with 235x35x19 tyres

and the most important parts (for me anyway) is this

front offset is 40P, and rear is 35P

After getting the guards rolled, we dialed in a bit of camber so the wheels would clear the fenders and went low, I was pretty damn happy with how it looked but due to a soft spring rate in the rear giving it way to much travel I couldn’t get the fitment i wanted on the rears. So after i get a stiffer rear spring I’ll be looking for a 5-8mm spacer to put on the rear. It wont ever be extreme fitment/ stance but the car is my daily driver and currently work is a 70km (45mile) each way trip.

front BEFORE camber and rolling

stance2.jpg

and the car is driven daily and at events

modball16_zps99a86778.jpg

attachment.php

with coilovers too your car can be millimeter exact and will never tuck the tyres

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
But that's for the Monaro. Those specs will not look the same on a VZ sedan. The rear guards are a different design.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
ok so in his own words as posted on the other forums

and the most important parts (for me anyway) is this

front BEFORE camber and rolling

stance2.jpg

and the car is driven daily and at events

modball16_zps99a86778.jpg

attachment.php

with coilovers too your car can be millimeter exact and will never tuck the tyres

Hey ducker85

Do you know what his tyre life is like with that much camber.
I'm guessing you would need to run directional tyres so that as the inners wear you could turn the tyre around on the rim, inner to outer and then just swap sides of the car to have the tyres pointing in the right direction.
A lot of performance tyres these days are non directional but have an inner and outer so can't be turned around on the rim.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
But that's for the Monaro. Those specs will not look the same on a VZ sedan. The rear guards are a different design.

I did think that BUT two things; OP asked about that particular car and all Commodores VP-VZ fit
The same size wheels (factory spec) 17x8 48P offset with only the IRS VP having rear issues but not the live axle VP

Do you know what his tyre life is like with that much camber.

Nah he never mentioned tyre life in the threads I read. I would assume he's got the closet to zero in the rear and no more then -2 front so I'd say 6-12 months on the front max. I have -2 camber front with ATRs (a harder tyre) and there wearing good but it has a slight pull which is starting to wear my passenger tyre more then the drivers. I'll get it adjusted different to stop the pulling next alignment and fingers crossed they'll wear even

I use to just get my tyres flipped on the rims every 6 months on previous cars to extent the tyre life (I should have bought a camber kit but young and careless at the time lol)