Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wierd Knock knock noise...no engine is fine lol

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hi guys

Have this wierd issue.....When I take off in 1st or even 2nd I get this knocking knock knock knock noise and will keep going whislt rolling if I clutch in the noise goes away or if I shift into 3rd gear or go faster lol it goes away.....Yesterday I thought it was the Handbrake so I pulled it up slighty and omg it has made the noise louder lol wondering what it could be gearbox shifts fine all 5 gears and it doesnt do it all the time...5L V8 T5 box

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Well my guess would be handbrake then? Inside your rear rotors a pad has probably snapped in half, delaminated from the backing or something in there is not sitting right making it rub on the disc.

You're going to have to take rear rotors off and take a look. If you can narrow down which side it's coming from it might save you taking both off.

Here's some info on adjustment, might be worth trying this first, but sounds like something in their is broken.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/64178-handbrake-adjustment.html

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
ill check this arvo if I recall when I clutch it the noise stops hmmm i guess ill find on the drive home from work lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check your wheel nuts and make sure they aren't loose.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Shes farked I think I clutched out and I caused car to jolt then it was banging knocking like a bitch and gearbox whine in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Chatters from take off. And also chatters whilst cruising along engine off and clutch pedel pressed in fark this lol

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hi guys

Have this wierd issue.....When I take off in 1st or even 2nd I get this knocking knock knock knock noise and will keep going whislt rolling if I clutch in the noise goes away or if I shift into 3rd gear or go faster lol it goes away.....Yesterday I thought it was the Handbrake so I pulled it up slighty and omg it has made the noise louder lol wondering what it could be gearbox shifts fine all 5 gears and it doesnt do it all the time...5L V8 T5 box
Just a thought when you down shift to 2nd then 1st,can you still hear it ? Sounds like could be a tooth on the cluster gone bye,bye on 1st &2nd,thats why when you pulled the hand brake on it puts it under load.Try seeing if it comes louder when,instead of using handbrake,depress the brake pedal.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
yep box is gone.....farken clutch was replaced 2 months ago......

have got another t5 that is in good nick replacing input shaft bearing just in case now comes my crazy wild idea since the bellhousing bolts are on the outside and the clutch is new couldnt I just undo the 4 bolts and slide the box back out of the way and slide the new one on whilst a mate holds the shift for in place?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, no need to take the bell housing off, just replace the box. Make sure you lube the input shaft where it goes into the spiggot bush.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Thanks for the help guy rebuilt my first t5 swapped a rebuilt au box internals into it. Chucked her in beautiful lol now to fix diff whine