Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wierd noise(help quick need car for next week)

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
okay so my cars been making this noise, i know theres alot of these kind of threads but none of them help me as i have covered whatever ends up being the issue with there car, okay so my car has been making a noise when i start it and drive and occasionally the noise stops for a while then starts again, but i havnt driven it much to suss out the noise because i didnt want to make it worse
anyways ive checked all the fluids and such and they dont seem to be the problem
the noise kind of sounds like a stick in a bike wheel and seems to be coming from the area around the alternater and other conponents that move around that area
so my theory is
-the alternater
-the oil(its above the full level, the dip stick was giving wrong readings and when i fixxed it it turned out i had over filled it a little bit)
-or mabey something to do with the auto transmission fluid(its at a good level but is a red-ie kind of colour)
i havnt been able to get it professionally looked at as i thought i would be able to cover it but so far im not to sure, any help would be very muchly appreciated
ALSO the other day is when the noise started and it was straight after i put petrol in a this station which i have gone on to find out has had heaps of complaints with dodgy petrol, could this have an effect my car?(the petrol i filled up is gone now and i have petrol from somewhere else) prehaps the fuel filter or something? i havnt gotten petrol from there since

Last edited:

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Berlina - Stock standard
You'll probably get better advice than mine, but while you are waiting to get some, take off the serpentine belt and rotate all the pulleys by hand and check for any unusual noises or roughness from the bearings.

You might also like to check nothing is interfering with the fan while you are in there. At least that might rule out a couple of your suspicions. Like any of this type of problem-solving, sometimes you have to just work through the possibilities and try to rule out as many as possible to find the answer.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah i started working through the possiblilys as you said, starting with all the fluids, followed with possible blockages or if anything was damaged, so now im just going to keep going till i can find the problem and do what you said and see if that could be it, i had a feeling it was one of the pulleys because the noise seemed to be coming from around were the belt was, and yeah i checked the radiater fan it was one of the first things i did because i thought mabey something was stuck in it, cheers for the help mate

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Shouldn't have anything to do with the fluids mate. Auto trans fluid red is the normal color its the same stuff as your power steering. Over filling your oil as long as you havnt driven it much since over fill will be nothing. If the dipstick comes out real brown and frothy then yeah you got a problem there.

Also you might want to elaborate on the noise to get better help. Is it a knocking sound? Whirring etc etc

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
um nah its kinda slightly a burnt kind of red, like a little darker then what it should seem

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Shouldn't have anything to do with the fluids mate. Auto trans fluid red is the normal color its the same stuff as your power steering. Over filling your oil as long as you havnt driven it much since over fill will be nothing. If the dipstick comes out real brown and frothy then yeah you got a problem there.

Also you might want to elaborate on the noise to get better help. Is it a knocking sound? Whirring etc etc

the noise is like you said a whirring kind of noise(like i dont know a scraping ticking type of sound) and nah the oil seems fine exept for being over filled

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Berlina - Stock standard
Got a laptop? Go record the noise and post it if you can.

Actually, you could probably record it with your phone or something.

Last edited:

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Yeah well if its dark red and has a burnt smell to it, its time for a change there. As for the sound honestly couldnt help you there, just the best i can.

Id get the car going and look for the origin of the sound myself, if you dont feel confident in that id take it to a mechanic

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
nah i wont be able to record the sound because i wont be able to put it onto my computer
yeah i feel confident i just wanted some opinions because mabey someone had had the same or simular problem and could tell me what it was or shed some light on it
and yeah i think the auto needs a service because its starting to get that burnt smell, but i dont think this sound is anything to do with the gearbox, and i have located the sound its coming from the front of the engine where all the moving componants are
i will try to explain the sound the best i can, its like having a something hitting something that is spinning, like as i said a stick stuck in a bike wheel, it seems that it is one of the moving parts but cant quiet figure out what it is