Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wierd rattle/clunking/clicking sound after highway driving

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Hi guys,

Every time I take my ute on highway trips of about 30 mins or more, when I come back down to residential speeds, and noticably when braking or reversing, there is a wierd rattle/clunking/clicking sound coming from somewhere in the rear.

Once the vehicle is parked up and everything cools down, the sound goes away and doesn't come back again until the next highway drive. It has never occurred driving around town nor does it seem to have any effect on driveability.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Where do you start, I can give you a list to check, Tail shaft uni-joints or rubber dampener or broken bolts.
Exhaust pipe farked, handbrake shoes inside the drums, shockers snapped or out of gas and oil, and any other suspension part that has a rubber dampener.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Thank you for the suggestions.

I do have another ute here that I can salvage for parts so hopefully, whatever it is, won't cost too much to fix.

This ute has cost me a small fortune lately but I refuse to be defeated.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
thumbsup trevor....

Ute rear muffler hanger rubber eyelets are noted for wearing the inner tube out and clunking muffler noises at high speed but not in city traffic.

Next time your driving on highway, put car in neutral and rev it up, if no noises it aint the exhaust, that deletes 1 thing from list. If it doesnt occur over bumps/rough road, suspension is good, that leaves only 2 things @ brakes and driveline, check worn loose rear pads/handbrake mechanism when was the last time rear pads and disk changed/checked ???

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
I don't have the paperwork handy so I'm not sure exactly when the brakes were done last, but it was around 12 months ago.

Just thinking of the last trip where this happened, the sound was only really noticable when braking firmly (e.g. to turn a corner) but it was also present when I started reversing out of a flat driveway.

Noise was not present while accelerating/decelerating under normal conditions. No wierd noises present whilst on the highway. I have since been out a few times around town and no abnormal noises.

I can only remember two or three times this has happened and it has always been after a longish drive down the highway.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I don't have the paperwork handy so I'm not sure exactly when the brakes were done last, but it was around 12 months ago.

Just thinking of the last trip where this happened, the sound was only really noticable when braking firmly (e.g. to turn a corner) but it was also present when I started reversing out of a flat driveway.

Noise was not present while accelerating/decelerating under normal conditions. No wierd noises present whilst on the highway. I have since been out a few times around town and no abnormal noises.

I can only remember two or three times this has happened and it has always been after a longish drive down the highway.
Longer driving hotter exhaust more expansion.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Exhaust or lsd issues would be handy as I have good condition replacements on hand.

Life has been getting in the way again but I hope to get under it next weekend and suss this whole thing out.

When/if I fix this issue, I'll let you guys know what it was just incase someone else stumbles on this thread with the same issue.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Is it only when taking off and or braking?
And is it a manual or auto?

I've noticed mine doing the same after a good hour long drive (to and from work on a freeway then back to residential stuff for 5 mins).
Go to take off and it sounds like either the rear brakes are struggling to release (as though the fluid is expanded and slightly holding them in) or something to do with the gearbox where there could be a worn point making it go clunk (ie a uni joint). but no noises at speed or when it is cool.
Probably the same issue youre having, which in about 4-5 weeks when its due for a service I would know a bit more.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Update:

I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary under the back of the vehicle (it's actually all in surprisingly good condition considering the age).

I picked up some new wheels and tyres (for cosmetic reasons) and noticed that the rotors were looking a bit rough and since I couldn't remember exactly when the brakes were done last I decided to replace the lot (rotors, pads and handbrake shoes).

The problem seems to have gone away so my guess is it was something to do with the handbrake.

Nonetheless, that's one more problem solved.

Cheers

Last edited: