Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WIFI Apple or Android Carplay

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
ahh i see.
i dont use it, the aawireless just worked out of the box without need to install apps.
Yeah I didn't need it to connect up either but it offers some nice settings such as the ability to make AA splitscreen apps, automatically force connection and other stuff too

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My AAWireless dongle is now in transit....
I came across a github project that looks like a neat addon...
Will have a play with it when my device arrives.

https://github.com/shmykelsa/AAAD

be careful with that one.
a quick look through the code reveals it contains...

code to process paypal information.
it downloads apk files and information from various places on the internet including .ru sites.
it installs those packages overriding the "unknown sources" feature of android(sideload).

it also uses the following permissions:
WAKE_LOCK
INTERNET
ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE
FOREGROUND_SERVICE
INSTALL_PACKAGES
DELETE_PACKAGES
REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES
REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
CAMERA
VIBRATE

the AAAD app might not be malicious but the files it installs might be malicious and with it downloading the files off the internet those files on those sites can be switched with malicious files at any time so those remote files might not be malicious today they could be tomorrow.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
be careful with that one.
a quick look through the code reveals it contains...

code to process paypal information.
it downloads apk files and information from various places on the internet including .ru sites.
it installs those packages overriding the "unknown sources" feature of android(sideload).

it also uses the following permissions:
WAKE_LOCK
INTERNET
ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE
FOREGROUND_SERVICE
INSTALL_PACKAGES
DELETE_PACKAGES
REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES
REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
CAMERA
VIBRATE

the AAAD app might not be malicious but the files it installs might be malicious and with it downloading the files off the internet those files on those sites can be switched with malicious files at any time so those remote files might not be malicious today they could be tomorrow.
Cheers for the heads up @stooge , will keep that in mind and keep an eye out for any strange activity.

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Cheers for the heads up @stooge , will keep that in mind and keep an eye out for any strange activity.
Hi, just providing an update.

Having the device for nearly a week, I was having continuous disconnections. Reading through here and other websites I decided to factory reset the dongle via the companion app.
I then uninstalled android auto and updated, cleared data and cache in android auto, perhaps I should have done this first.

Android auto was on head unit. It wasn’t as bad, but I was still having disconnection issues. Tried everything suggested, except for trying a different usb cable. So since using the supplied cable from AA wireless, it’s been flawless. Can’t believe that’s what the problem was, the usb cable I normally use is an anker cable and has never given me any trouble with a wired connection.

I also tried the split screen, but couldn’t get a screen I was happy with. Think a 7 inch screen is to small for split screen.

In regards to AAD, I’ve been using this for over a year without issue. I have the pro version. Every now and then google will block it with a forced update of android auto. I’ve been lucky though and have always found a version that works.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Can’t believe that’s what the problem was, the usb cable I normally use is an anker cable and has never given me any trouble with a wired connection.

yeah the mylink in the zb is a little strange with the usb cable.
when i first got my zb i had wired dc issues with a 20cm quality cable that could work perfectly as a usb3 10gbps cable and a fast charge cable but in the zb it disconnected frequently, i changed to another 20cm cable from a wd usb ssd and it has never had an issue since.

as a developer i can attest to the google updates causing issues, in the last few years there has been 3 major updates that have attempted to patch the hacked android auto sdk we use to get full api access on android auto.
each time i have coded a workaround but soon i believe they will nail it ending the ability for us to access anything but the api they specify but for now everything is still going strong :p

mnu.jpg

lst.jpg

ply.jpg

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
these look good the 4.0 model handles both android and apple phones

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/

the mini T-box looks really interesting

basically it appears to be a wired to wireless connection that supports apple and android phones as per the 4.0

plus its basically an android tv box included which lets you download apps that wouldn't normally work through the carplay interface
so you can have basically anything android on your car screen and control it from the steering controls etc.
Ive had android systems in cars before and the possibilities are endless, especially with a sim card and sd card storage. You can set up a hotspot, anybody in the car can access, play games, netflix disney etc, have a music, and video library onboard.
imagine connecting your ipad to your car and being able to use any app not just the ones apple say are car safe. have the cricket/footie going

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can wire in Apple TV to the car.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
these look good the 4.0 model handles both android and apple phones

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/

the mini T-box looks really interesting

basically it appears to be a wired to wireless connection that supports apple and android phones as per the 4.0

plus its basically an android tv box included which lets you download apps that wouldn't normally work through the carplay interface
so you can have basically anything android on your car screen and control it from the steering controls etc.
Ive had android systems in cars before and the possibilities are endless, especially with a sim card and sd card storage. You can set up a hotspot, anybody in the car can access, play games, netflix disney etc, have a music, and video library onboard.
imagine connecting your ipad to your car and being able to use any app not just the ones apple say are car safe. have the cricket/footie going
Sounds good, would be interesting to see it in use. I'm running aawireless using their device and even though it's well built and highly supported through development forums there's still a few issues. I'd hate to think of how many issues something like this has haha

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i suspect it will just be a variant of screen mirroring, typically they are a bit laggy and can have audio lip sync.