Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wii on wireless broadband

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
A solution that may work for you:

These 'mobile' wireless internet services aren't just restrict to a USB device. Telstra offer mobile internet WiFi routers which use the same principle as the USB modems do. You stick a SIM card into the wireless mobile router, configure it accordingly and connect your Wii to the WiFi network which the router is broadcasting.
I configure these things for work which are deployed into remote mining offices. They work pretty well in the middle of no where!
I'm not sure about the cost, or if they've even released it as a commercial consumer, but it may be something you want to look into.

Telstra unveils Next G mobile broadband WiFi router - Computerworld

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
A solution that may work for you:

These 'mobile' wireless internet services aren't just restrict to a USB device. Telstra offer mobile internet WiFi routers which use the same principle as the USB modems do. You stick a SIM card into the wireless mobile router, configure it accordingly and connect your Wii to the WiFi network which the router is broadcasting.
I configure these things for work which are deployed into remote mining offices. They work pretty well in the middle of no where!
I'm not sure about the cost, or if they've even released it as a commercial consumer, but it may be something you want to look into.

Telstra unveils Next G mobile broadband WiFi router - Computerworld

yes, they have been avaliable for sometime, consumer & business.

But downloads will really cost you, not good if your looking for the cheapest deal & can get ADSL/Cable.

Yeah I've done that. Adam seem to be the best so far, looking at their 20gig for $50 plan. Speed doesn't concern me too much. Thanks for the suggestion.
Im on the 20G with Adam atm.... we are kinda murdering it currently :(

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
With Internode here, but something to keep an eye our for is 3G wireless backed by optus through Internode. Am holding my breath on the pricing and how billing works though. Have had pre-paid optus 3G for some time now and its a good backup when out and about, not the cheapest though but better coverage than three.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Coverage Order for Wireless :

Telstra
Optus
Vodafone
Hutchinson (3)

Virgin etc run off the above so they would be at that level or less coverage.

Make sure you check the coverage maps & fine print of coverage issues before you take up wireless BB.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I put the wii on wireless (during the off peak time midnight to midday) and with it being online for the first time, downloading the first update and playing for a total of 4 hours (mario kart.... it's great fun and addictive) I only used about 140mb of data. Which is stuff all but enough to throw out the peak usage. So I only connect it to the net when I wanna play online.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
ah yes, but you havent found the VC games/wiiware yet.... lols I download a VC game or wiiware game atleast once a month....

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Nah not yet, Mario Kart online is enough for me atm. Just glad I have online even if I can't play it till 12 midnight, lol.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Nah not yet, Mario Kart online is enough for me atm. Just glad I have online even if I can't play it till 12 midnight, lol.

Wait til you come across some of the nuts with 9,999 points :p Im on just over 9,100 but its too hard to be that consistantly good. I came 8th out of 12 the other day by getting screwed over and lost like 308 points :bang:

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Haha, haven't had those guys yet, but loosing 30 points would suck. Hope they are easy to get back.