Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wii on wireless broadband

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I have a Wii and want to connect to the net. I don't want to use the current wireless router that I am using as I am very close to going over quota on my monthly plan as is. I was thinking of getting a prepaid 3 wireless usb modem and using that. But what I want to do is plug the usb modem directly to the usb of the Wii. They have a plan that cost $150 for 12gb for 12months, this will be plenty for the Wii and I can use it on the laptop if I need too.

Will this work?

Has anyone done it or can try it cos I wanna do this but don't want to spend the money on something that won't/can't work.

Thanks
Nick

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
wont work, as the usb only recognises Wii plug ins, also unless your running homebrew on the wii, you will not be able to install the 3 software to enable the modem to connect.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
However, you could share an internet connection via a USB modem through the laptop. You would just need to connect the wii to a new wireless network. Then your laptop basically runs as the router.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks for the info, although it's not what I wanna here but at least it saved trying it. Oh well might have to look into a new service provider to get better download limits for the same price. Didn't really want to (I was hoping this would work) but oh well.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
We run the desktop, 2 laptops, the wii & the kids 2 DS's off the wireless router here, we are murdering 20 gig easy a month atm, so Im going to have to look at upgrading aswell.

gah! the kids arent even teenagers yet!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If you can, you'd be better off just using the money you'd pay for the 3 Wireless on upgrading your existing plan to a bigger quota. You pay a lot per GB for mobile broadband at the moment, and it's generally a lot slower.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah it didn't both me too much cos it was only gunna be used for the wii and thats it, plus if it runs out and we can't afford to top up then it can stay until we can. But we have a really crappy plan atm (2gig peak 4gig off peak) and it doesn't take much to chew through that with basic web surfing. Might look around for a few other suppliers but not sure what not name suppliers are like for service and others like telstra can be costly.

P.S Mario Kart Wii online is awesome fun. Who would of thought it could change the game that much.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
plenty of cheap isp's around

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Yeah I know, just don't wanna get stuck with one that has a crap service. Eg. lots of downtime, no help with any probs etc. I'll find someone I'm sure.