Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will 245/45r18" tyre fit into commdore vy with spacer

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
hi i have same problem.2003 vy s.i got some 18"rims 245/45 r18 put on yesterday on way home from garage i could smell a burning rubber smell.got home and it seemed the 2 front tyres wer rubbing on the springs.now i have no idea what to do.someone said mayb go a lower profile 225/40 ??.the guy i got the rims off said theyl be a 100%fit as they came off his 2003 vy and said that the rims wer machined.

VT-VZ with 18's usually run 235/40x18 tyres and some do run 245/40x18 but 45 profile is too tall.
Also it doesn't matter whther a car is std or lowered at the front as the hub to spring seat is always the same distance.
Lowering changes the distance between the spring seat and the top of the spring strut mount.

deanos70

Reaction score
i just put a set of 18inch csa rims on my vy ss ute
got 245/40/18's no problems,
the 45s would have just about rubbed on the inner guard behind the bumper
on full lock as well

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
i just put a set of 18inch csa rims on my vy ss ute
got 245/40/18's no problems,
the 45s would have just about rubbed on the inner guard behind the bumper
on full lock as well

45'series would have most probably rubbed under the spring seat as well.
I have seen 265/35x18 on HSV rims on the rear of a VX ute which had rolled guards.

katrin brider

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden Calais
Hey hey I went from 205 tyres to 235/45 on 17" TSW Carthage mags. Wheel arch hits top of tyres. Correct size?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey hey I went from 205 tyres to 235/45 on 17" TSW Carthage mags. Wheel arch hits top of tyres. Correct size?

Do you know the offset on the rims? Also, if the wheel has to much negative camber the tyre can rub on the strut as well.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be a 235/40R18" on VY. 245/45R18 is for VE on. Lowering your car won't affect tyre scrub to strut as nothing changes that distance there. Tyre scrub to inner guard may. Another possibility if it on'y scrubs on 1 strut is that upi have a bent strut which is very common on commodores

Could also mean you need to make a small adjustment at the Hub/strut mount.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
The only VY's to come with 245/45-18 as standard was the HSV Avalanche/XUV and they have a wider track and beefed up guards.

There ain't much room in the front , specially at full lock.

Even one width up to 255/45-18's they rubbed on the front inner guard, even with 5mm spacers.

I'd say you need to drop down a profile and a width size to 235/40/18 on the front, keep the 245/45's for the rear.

katrin brider

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden Calais
ET35 as on back of spokes. 5 spoke mags. Unsure of camber reading. Is that axle 1 and 2, Max % balance reading? Sorry new to all this and still learning.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
ET35 as on back of spokes. 5 spoke mags. Unsure of camber reading. Is that axle 1 and 2, Max % balance reading? Sorry new to all this and still learning.

others with VY's will know more than me but take the car back to where they were fitted??,its their job to make sure the car operates/rides as it should when fitting bigger tyres and rims.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

That will be your problem. Standard Holden wheels are generally a 42p or 48p offset. The smaller the number the further out the wheel will sit. I recently looked at some TSW wheels but I don't think I'll go with them due to the limited offsets available.

IF you know the size/offset of you original rims you can use this calculator to see how much further out your new rims will sit.

1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator

The important numbers to check when getting an alignment are Toe, Camber and Caster.

Toe refers to the direction the tyres point towards the front of the vehicle and is measured in millimetres, it should give a number for each wheel (+ve or -ve) and a total number. In an ideal world total toe should be 0 (zero) but seeing as our roads aren't flat that would cause issues so generally tyres Toe in a little (but to much and you get accelerated wear on the inside of the tyres). Camber refers the angle the tyre sits at when looking from the front of the vehicle. If the tyre was sitting perfectly straight that would be 0 camber, if the top of the tyres point in towards the car then that is called negative camber (you see lots of negative camber on the front wheels of race cars). Caster refers to the angle of the suspension strut, basically how much further forward the wheel is in relation to the top suspension mount. Caster effects wheel stability at high speed as well as camber when the wheel is turned.

Car manufacturers have recommendations for each vehicle model. Not sure what they are for the VY but I would expect recommended Toe (in) would be a maximum of -2mm, camber recommendation would probably be 0° to -0.5° and caster I think is about 10° but isn't really adjustable on the factory suspension.

Check this link for more info and pictures which make things a lot easier to understand.

http://lusequip.com/site/1212late/Alignment_Basics.pdf

Last edited: