Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will 6.5" Jaycar splits fit in VT front door?

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I am up to phase 2 of my upgrade which is to replace the front speakers. The Jaycar splits look to be highly recommended for the money, but I just want to be sure the 6.5" speakers will fit in the doors of a VT without major surgery.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
if the size that is in there is a 6 inch then u can only put a 6 inch... the pods in the doors are quite tight once u get in there .... soo if you have to stick with what ever came stock with the car unless u wanna start surgery. Im pretty sure they are 6" front speakers when stock

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes, the originals are 6" but a 6.5" inch can be made to fit with a bot of cutting. My suggestion is to remove the door pod and take it in to Jaycar and see if you can do the job yourself or not. But, it's quite a common job.

Philth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I got 6.5 in focals to fit quite nicely only need a mdf spacer so to avoid the window, factor speaker grille covered it, looked stock

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Ok, so a bit of plastic cutting/filing. What about the door itself. Any probs mounting the speaker in the hole? I saw a thread that suggested taking a hammer to the door. The magnets look quite big on the 6.5s. Maybe I should look for a 6" and separate tweeter and splitter.

Philth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
from what i remember there was no cutting of the door. One of the thing i specified was it all HAD to be able to go back to factory spec

If there the tweet on the 6in style yeah you might have a few probs.

id check but i dont have the car anymore

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Does anyone make a true 6" component set that would fit straight in the door for around the $150 mark? Or is the bit of fiddling around worth the effort for the Jaycar splits?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I just installed a set of Pioneer splits in the front of a VZ - they're also 6" speakers out of the factory, mounted in plastic pods.

The Pioneer jobs (can't remember the model, 6.5" kevlar bass/mid, and a 25mm soft dome tweeter) are a 6.5" speaker, but fit in the pod cutouts. The only hassle is that the magnets are a bit larger diameter, and the tapered "half cone" on the back of the pod has to be cut to clear it. (the driver is no deeper than the original though)

I've mounted other 6.5" speakers though which wouldn't fit in the pod cutouts, I had to trim about 4mm around the inside edge to get 'em in. In my own humble opinion, the "bit of fiddling around" is more than worth it though - them Response splits are SWEEEEET!

I guess some won't want to "mutilate" the plastic pods, but at least they could be purchased later if you wanted to return it to stock. (the only question I would have is.... WHY??) ;)

For what it's worth, anyhow.

Cheerz!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i tried triming the plastic. then i found the magnets hit the door frame! so i made new pods. good learning experience! i can remove my door skins in abut 10-15 mins a piece now.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I ended up going with the Jaycar and I am about 3/4 through installing them. The tweeters were straight forward, but as predicted, the door speakers were difficult. I was able to do it without completely removing the door trim as was suggested in another post. Basically I couldn't get the little red plastic thingy out of the door lock so just pulled back the skin far enough to get a stubby screwdriver in and undo the 3 screws on the pod. I had to cut the back off the pod as the Jaycar speaker has a bigger magnet. I also had to trim around the top a bit to allow the angle supports of the speaker to set in a bit closer. It isn't a flush fit but it's close and it screws in nice and firm.

I've got the split boxes mounted so now all I have to do is the wiring back to the head unit and it's done. I hope it sounds better. The jump in quality from the stock system to the Pioneer head unit and 6x9s was awesome, even with the original front speakers so I hope I can tell the difference with the new speakers.