Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will 6.5" Jaycar splits fit in VT front door?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
heh, I don't remember the last time I removed the door skin entirely from the VT onwards....I miss Commodores...almost.

Did I just say that? I loathe Commodores.....

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I just installed a set of Pioneer splits in the front of a VZ - they're also 6" speakers out of the factory, mounted in plastic pods.

The Pioneer jobs (can't remember the model, 6.5" kevlar bass/mid, and a 25mm soft dome tweeter) are a 6.5" speaker, but fit in the pod cutouts. The only hassle is that the magnets are a bit larger diameter, and the tapered "half cone" on the back of the pod has to be cut to clear it. (the driver is no deeper than the original though)

I've mounted other 6.5" speakers though which wouldn't fit in the pod cutouts, I had to trim about 4mm around the inside edge to get 'em in. In my own humble opinion, the "bit of fiddling around" is more than worth it though - them Response splits are SWEEEEET!

I guess some won't want to "mutilate" the plastic pods, but at least they could be purchased later if you wanted to return it to stock. (the only question I would have is.... WHY??) ;)

For what it's worth, anyhow.

Cheerz!

Thread dig yes!
How did you mount the 6.5" splits to the factory plastic pod?
Did you screw the speaker right on the outer edge of it?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate just use some mdf spacer rings and ditch the plastic pod. You'll get a much better seal between the outer basket and the mfd, and the mdf to the door, than what you will with the plastic pod, which is likely to leak.

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Mate just use some mdf spacer rings and ditch the plastic pod. You'll get a much better seal between the outer basket and the mfd, and the mdf to the door, than what you will with the plastic pod, which is likely to leak.

I know this is an ancient thread, but does not having the sound directed forward (the way the stock pods face the speakers forward) make a big difference? Also how do I go about weather proofing the speakers?