Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a 2015 vf s2 MY15 Calais sedan with the v6 accept the optional v8 engine as an upgrade?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
V8's are through the roof ATM especially the Redline.

1mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have a MY14 SV6 and I’m thinking of the LS3 upgrade. Regardless of opinions, could anyone recommend someone in Melbs (North east preferably), that could do this swap?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF series 2 Calais MY15 3.6ltr v6 LFX
Hi again... a huge “thank you very much” to...

FORG, IMOENGNR, RON BURGUNDY, TML678, WETWORK65, DEREKTHETREE, VFSV6FORME, and 1MARK...

So given what you’ve all suggested... ... any recommendations on how to get the deepest idle / deepest “normal” acceleration burble from the standard LFX 3.6ltr v6 I’m stuck with in my automatic 2015 VF series 2 automatic Calais?! Remember, I’m no street racer /performance guy, l just want a little deeper burble (not trumpet!) and perhaps a little more short burst acceleration...

I’m after a deeper burble rather than pure performance...

On a different note, Is a Dyno tune and an OTR even worth considering? Or an exhaust system? Or any engine mods or upgrades at all on the current 3.6ltr sidi lfx v6 engine?

And finally, please someone very roughly ballpark the cost of removing the v6 and implanting a v8 that would fit in this make and model... (2015 VF 3.6ltr v6 series 2 auto Calais with 130,000 on the clock...) I know different v8 engines cost differing amounts, I’m just looking to put myself out of my misery for good... so I’m asking for a) the price of a crate v8 (suggestions please) that would fit my make/model, maybe the very v8 that would have come with the more expensive 2015 Calais V, not the VF like mine, providing it would fit in my vf...), the ballpark cost any other bits and bobs or adjustments the new motor/my car may need so the new v8 engine runs in my car (just the basic “get it in” costs), and c) a rough idea of the labour cost to do the job... and might I get a thou or two for the old v6 (which has 137,000 on the clock?) In fact, would a second hand v8 / a v8 from a wrecked 2015 Calais V make the cost of the upgrade acceptable? If so, how many kilometres should this second hand v8 have? And any suggestions on where to best find it? Wreckers? Reconditioned engine place in Melbourne? On line auction? Or maybe buy a written off complete vf Calais s with a reasonable v8 in it?

Just ballparking the amounts please... I’m very grateful for any help and don’t want to impose too much... remember, I can’t afford to sell my Calais v6 and buy a Calais v8, so I’m just looking to get a cost idea and then I imagine stop considering a v8 all together... but first (!!!), might 10 thousand cover it?

And truely finally, any thoughts on the value of my make and model moving forward given Holden’s shut shop? Will it one day be a 10 or 20 or 30 year old worth a small fortune? Were there many made?!

Bless you all. Thank you again. This is the last car I will ever buy... I really love it, I really do. I’ll never own the car of my dreams... but a little tinkering and I will be content with this one... I really will. I have no choice... the dam car looks so good just as it is, the engine is the only place I can truely make this Calais my own...

Short answers are fine!
Holden Rules!

Stan

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I have no suggestions for cost but also you need to consider other major components such as the transmission, brakes, suspension to name a few big ones to upgrade.

Then re register and insure as a V8.

You might find the changeover price to sell yours and buy a V8 isn’t too far apart.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
V8 prices will come back down again. They are sky high due to:
  • Reduced imports due to COVID driving the up the whole second hand market, plus more people want/need a car over public transport
  • Holden closing shop, making people pay crazy prices for last of lines/one offs
  • People trying to cash in on the above two reasons
Instead of wasting money on the V6, save some money every month. The market will have calmed down in 6-12 months and buying a factory V8 will be obtainable again.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Costs to convert I reckon will go over $10K...buying a write off with an 8 in it will be the cheapest option...You'll have everything to start with.....

Price to fit....Ring around places to get a quote..

Will they be a small fortune? Have you got a crystal ball? No one can answer that....Yes the price will go up naturally eventually...When that occurs and by how much no one can say

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
At an indeterminate point in time, when any V8 Calais is a reasonable unknown price ............ is a potential buyer going to be interested in a home-made, converted V8, or a factory built V8.

In 20 > 30 years time, a petrol engined car may be worth SFA, as the buying generation will be looking at electric, self driving cars disposable cars, or a horse drawn luxury cart. Only our politicians can see that far into the future, and make predictions that they are unlikely to see, and others will forget.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You might find the changeover price to sell yours and buy a V8 isn’t too far apart.
I reckon the changeover price will be probably close to half the cost of legally safely & performancishly fitting a V8 to an originally-V6 car ... and then the car isn't worth as much as one which left the production-line with a V8.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Complete conversion would be 15-20k pending engine code, this price I'm going by would include diff, tailshaft, brakes, loom bcm, ecu, radiator, hoses, bolt ons labour and reprogramming. Give you a price idea vf2 ssv redlines are fetching round 20k as stat write off's at auction