Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a 5 litre bolt up to a t5 in a v6 vn?

slappedvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Hey guys
ive got a factory manual vn s pac and was just wondering what would be needed to put a 5 litre into it?
cheers

Robster

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN BT1, '96 VS Calais
The bell housing for the v8 box is different, the gear ratio in the v8 box is different and the input shaft on the v8 box is different. In my personal opinion, it may just be easier to find a v8 gearbox. A lot easier to find one of those than trying to find just an input shaft and especially the bell housing. Not a lot of them floating around. Also I have heard a few people say that the v6 box is not really built to cope with the power output of the v8 which is why they are different though I am not entirely sure whether this is true.

wes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5 spd man.
I have asked a lot of people about this,,,,I have a VT 5ltr with a 5sp GETRAG,,(Good box when working)but the input shaft bearing has **** itself,the gearbox shop has told me it would be worth putting a bearing kit through the whole box.....I almost fell over at the quotes I was getting,so I looked into fitting a T5,castlemaine rod shop do a bellhousing and v8 input shaft....With mine being a vt I would have to change the tailshaft,clutch operation as the vt is hydrolic,as to the t5 being cable,there is some minor things I have forgotten.....But still cheaper than the $2500 they want to fix the getrag

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Whats needed wiring wise is it all plug in and play etc

wes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5 spd man.
Been told it is straight forward colour code, cut and join,,,,,but I was going to drive into auto electrician to have it done.($85 an hour)they say it would take about an hour.