Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a BCM from another car work?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I think my bcm just took a dump.
Just got a BCM from the wreckers off a similar car as mine. Will it work on my car? Can I link it to the ECU using a tech2 or any other method?

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Yea just connect it up and link it to your ecu with tech2.
But you need the key from the car the bcm came from as your old key would only be programmed to your old BCM and cant be reprogrammed.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Yea just connect it up and link it to your ecu with tech2.
But you need the key from the car the bcm came from as your old key would only be programmed to your old BCM and cant be reprogrammed.

Don't have the key from the donor car but I got a new key.

You sure its gonna work? Folks over at the GTO forum are saying its not possible and that BCMs can only be programmed to the ECU once. Is it different with commodores?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As aussieatiko said above.....
It'll work. Just link it to the ECU with a Tech 2, get your new key/s programmed and you're on your way.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Alright...that's weird, I thought the commodore (vz) was technically the same as the GTO.

Here is an example:
BCM Replacement [Archive] - LS1GTO.com Forums
Look at post 13.

And another one:
BCM availability - LS1TECH.com Forums
Look at post 3

The GTO forums are riddled with such info.
And not only that but the workshops with a tech2 are also saying its not possible! WTF!

But if you guys are saying its possible then its worth a try.
Only thing right now is...what's the exact procedure on the tech2 to link the second hand BCM to my car's ECU?
I ask cz I will have to do this myself since the shops with the tech2 are saying that its not possible, hence they can't do it.

Last edited:

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
If its a new key from Holden it wont program without another key, if its from mister minute you can just put it in the ignition and it will program itself

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
If its a new key from Holden it wont program without another key, if its from mister minute you can just put it in the ignition and it will program itself

I plan on programming the key either using the 10/10/10 method or by using a tech2.
My concern right now is linking the second hand BCM to the my ECU

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Problems I see....
Without the security code for the bcm you can't program a new key, normally to add a key you have to disable security with an already programmed key then put the new key in and program it with the tech2, you don't have the matching fob for the bcm so you can't do this.
To program a new blank key you need the security code for the bcm if you don't have a fob, for this you need the vin # of the vehicle it came from, proof of ownership and then get it from holden.
A key from Mr Minit is not going to work either, they use a reader to copy the old key then program a new blank, the steps to make it work is not programming it at all, it's simply linking it to the bcm for the remote buttons to work (if it was blank it wouldn't start the car or it'd set the horn off as soon as it was turned in he ignition)

There is no other way to program a new key to the bcm, no tricks of holding your tongue in your left cheek with your legs crossed while sing the national anthem backwards turning the key on/off and counting numbers will not change this.
I guess you could make a deal with the devil but that'd be pretty high stakes just to start a car.

To link the bcm & ecu, don't you have to disable the security with the key?
If it was as simple as you seem to think a lot more commodores would be found stolen and burnt out.

The security systems used in the US on the GTO is completely different to that of a commodore.

Last edited: