Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a Diff gear change increase HP

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
If you go from a 3.08 ratio to a 3.7 will your Horse Power rating increase.

Obviously HP at Flywheel will be the same, but will Rear Wheel HP increase.

I am assuming it will but just thought i will ask.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
No.. It will just affect how the HP is used by the Rear wheel..

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Same power, just used differently, you will get a harder launch though.

Adzzaman

Powered By Buick
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Doesnt it show on a dyno readout as more power though? I know its not making more power at the motor but dosent it multiply the power at the wheels?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Adzzaman said:
Doesnt it show on a dyno readout as more power though? I know its not making more power at the motor but dosent it multiply the power at the wheels?

Nope, if that was true I would just put 7:1 gears in my datsun 120y and take out horsepower heros around the country......

Adzzaman

Powered By Buick
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
cheers for the quick reply mate

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
changing diff gear ratio will not increase power figures at all, the only increase u will notice on a dyno is torque will be increased, i hope this clarifys a few things for people.

Moredhel84

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.3L VR Berlina, 5spd.
^^ Wouldn't more torque actually be an advantage over the power? Torque being the pulling/spinning power behind it all, wouldn't this be a positive gain?

Not being a mechanic and all, I heard a while back that power is derived from torque over certain RPM ranges etc, so wouldn't increasing your torque also add gains to your overall KW as well? (Pure speculation on my behalf here)

Oh and one more thing, usually when changing gear ratios a lot of us would be thinking along the lines of getting a LSD/spool installed (if not already) at the same time, saving money. Wouldn't the added benefit of having more traction on the dyno (due to no more single spinner) also add marginally to your overall KW?

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Moredhel84 said:
^^ Wouldn't more torque actually be an advantage over the power? Torque being the pulling/spinning power behind it all, wouldn't this be a positive gain?

Not being a mechanic and all, I heard a while back that power is derived from torque over certain RPM ranges etc, so wouldn't increasing your torque also add gains to your overall KW as well? (Pure speculation on my behalf here)

Oh and one more thing, usually when changing gear ratios a lot of us would be thinking along the lines of getting a LSD/spool installed (if not already) at the same time, saving money. Wouldn't the added benefit of having more traction on the dyno (due to no more single spinner) also add marginally to your overall KW?

Torque is twisting force, torque is actually what gets a vehicle of the line, so in drag racing, you take of from the line your using torque, then power takes over after torque fases out, change gears and it all happens again, every gear change. So if you can remeber it as torque gets u moving, power keeps you going.

A chassis dyno calculates on load vs speed, a car will make different power in different gears, due to driveline loss, nothing to do with changing ratios.

When diff ratios are changed torque is increased, so for eg. from 3.07 ratio to 3.9 ration there is a very large torque increase on the dyno. the engine wont produce any more torque, a dyno is caculating torque from load vs speed.

LSD's or spools are really a must when building a diff as the extra cost pays itself of very quickly, very very rarely a worn lsd will upset power figures on a dyno, as in straight driving the lsd isnt even working.