Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a Haynes Manual help me find my vacuum leak? also ABShelp maybe?

Alexsvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VZ Ute
Hi all!!
don't let my username fool you, i am currently running a 2006 VZ that i recently picked up FAIRLY CHEAP, i knew i'd have to fix up a few things but i am new to dealing with vacuum leaks and engine stuff.
from the research i've done and talking with people i believe i am dealing with a vacuum leak.i certainly have found a bunch of hoses that WERE leaking and i have patched those up by eye, and i even built myself a smoke machine! which was cool and helped me spot a couple more leaks and she's definitely sounding better than when i got her.

however my ongoing issue is on start up. i recorded this video of what happens at least from the cockpit
and then after that she seems to start fine for a few hours and then goes back to starting on the second or third try.
i don't think its the starter, its definitely not the battery but i got the guys down at supercheap auto to plug in a tester and the following issues came up
https://imgur.com/gallery/p74ngBJ

i'm mainly worried about the ABS and valve relay errors, i absolutely plan on fixing all of these issues i just want to get the engine and start up going properly. the last owners fucked around with the dash and electronics, its got a fully sick subwoofer and used to have a radio (like HAM radio?)

i'd like to know what you think and would like to ask about the haynes manuals and if there are parts than will show me where the vacuum flows through and where i should be looking.
my next move is going to be to take off the intake manifold and have a peak, i have a feeling there might be something going on in there.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not really much in the way of vacuum lines since the car is EFI (and particularly on an Alloytec), only other two I could think of are brake booster and fuel pressure regulator. If you had a starter issue your car wouldn't crank properly/at all, sounded 100% fine in the video. Also, worth clearing codes first by disconnecting the battery and seeing if they reappear.

I have used this method successfully a couple of times to find manifold leaks, most people use a can of Start Ya' Bastard. Quite possible that the intake gasket wasn't put on properly when the spark plugs were last changed

Can you hear the fuel pump priming each time you turn the key to accessories?

The Haynes manuals are okay (or they used to be at least), found it always worth having one hand for how much they are. Also, the radio you're thinking of is a CB radio.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does the tacho always lag like that when you start the car? Don't think it should do that.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all!!
don't let my username fool you, i am currently running a 2006 VZ that i recently picked up FAIRLY CHEAP, i knew i'd have to fix up a few things but i am new to dealing with vacuum leaks and engine stuff.
from the research i've done and talking with people i believe i am dealing with a vacuum leak.i certainly have found a bunch of hoses that WERE leaking and i have patched those up by eye, and i even built myself a smoke machine! which was cool and helped me spot a couple more leaks and she's definitely sounding better than when i got her.

however my ongoing issue is on start up. i recorded this video of what happens at least from the cockpit
i don't think its the starter, its definitely not the battery but i got the guys down at supercheap auto to plug in a tester and the following issues came up
https://imgur.com/gallery/p74ngBJ
i'm mainly worried about the ABS and valve relay errors, i absolutely plan on fixing all of these issues i just want to get the engine and start up going properly. the last owners fucked around with the dash and electronics, its got a fully sick subwoofer and used to have a radio (like HAM radio?)

i'd like to know what you think and would like to ask about the haynes manuals and if there are parts than will show me where the vacuum flows through and where i should be looking.
my next move is going to be to take off the intake manifold and have a peak, i have a feeling there might be something going on in there.
l noticed your srs and engine drivtrain light on the dash. Take the car to a auto elec tech 2 sertified and dont fuc around with anything.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I second the Vacuum Leak to check 1st.

Also, could be a bummed Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). The reason I am saying is the idle, seems high. On this car, does have a Vacuum Line attached to the FPR? Had a 3.4V6 that ran a high idle. The engine opened the Air Idle Valve full open to compensate for the extra fuel sucked in the inatke manifold. On my case, pulled the vacuum line right after killing the engine to see if any residual fuel got sucked in to the tube.

Alexsvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VZ Ute
Can you hear the fuel pump priming each time you turn the key to accessories?

The Haynes manuals are okay (or they used to be at least), found it always worth having one hand for how much they are. Also, the radio you're thinking of is a CB radio.

i think i heard it when i was recording the video, but i will definitely be making a point of listening out for it every time. and thanks haha, radios are not my forte

Does the tacho always lag like that when you start the car? Don't think it should do that.

definitely on first start up its like that, will keep my eye on it more.

l noticed your srs and engine drivtrain light on the dash. Take the car to a auto elec tech 2 sertified and dont fuc around with anything.

yeah i definitely don't plan on fuking with the electrical stuff, it terrifies me haha but also i haven't been worrying too much because everything seems to work really well and nothing came up on the computer tester. but yeah, won't be sticking my fingers into it.

I second the Vacuum Leak to check 1st.

Also, could be a bummed Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). The reason I am saying is the idle, seems high. On this car, does have a Vacuum Line attached to the FPR? Had a 3.4V6 that ran a high idle. The engine opened the Air Idle Valve full open to compensate for the extra fuel sucked in the inatke manifold. On my case, pulled the vacuum line right after killing the engine to see if any residual fuel got sucked in to the tube.

next thing i'll look at is fpr and yeah the vacuum leak checking with spraying something (i've seen and heard people using start ya bastard and wd40 and i think i've even seen people using brake cleaner? but the whole spraying stuff kinda spooks me and i'm worried i won't hear the idle change. will keep it as a last resort for now

i'm going to see how far i can get without buying a manual or maybe if i can get one of sale for dirt cheap or something haha
thanks for all your ideas, really appreciate it