Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a new SV6 motor sound better after more k's

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
thanks all... I wonder if I might be trying to justify a step up to an SS Storm by thinking that the SV6 sounds unpleasant :yeah:

Really the only negatives with the V8 are purchase price, fuel consumption, and insurance (maybe rego might be dearer in some states, but in NSW rego is the same V6 or V8). If you are OK with the extra say $5000 buy price, fuel isn't really that bad especially if you do a lot of highway type travel. I do limited travel around town in the VE SS, but compared to my VE SIDI SV6 auto that I had before the SS (AFM auto) the fuel seems to be about 2 l/ 100Km difference. Get out on the highway and the difference is near zero. Say if you did 400Km per week (20,000Km pa) then you might use an extra 10 litres of fuel a week (about $15 a week assuming $1.50/ litre). You would have to check insurance but logically the SV6 would be cheaper to insure, question is how much cheaper. I figure come resale time some of that extra purchase price you should get back. I think later build VF V8's should have reasonable resale especially when you won't be able to buy new ones within 2.5 years.

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
My daily drive to and from work is a bit over 100 km's return, nearly all of it country highway - googling 'real world' fuel usage figures seem to suggest that open road economy in an 6.0 litre with AFM will give me better results than what I'm currently driving.

Yes, insurance will be around $200.00 more - but that is just the results from one on-line instant quote. Rego in WA works out the same for V6 and V8.

I considered holding off car shopping until the arrival of the 6.2's, but my current vehicle is giving strong hints that I kinda need to do something soon... either buy a new vehicle or spend $$$ on it.

- lots of discussion about the sound of the current V8's - I don't mind the understated sound, and the good thing is that when the right hand pedal is pressed and the V8 becomes noticeable it definitely doesn't sound like the unpleasant SV6.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
My daily drive to and from work is a bit over 100 km's return, nearly all of it country highway - googling 'real world' fuel usage figures seem to suggest that open road economy in an 6.0 litre with AFM will give me better results than what I'm currently driving.

Yes, insurance will be around $200.00 more - but that is just the results from one on-line instant quote. Rego in WA works out the same for V6 and V8.

I considered holding off car shopping until the arrival of the 6.2's, but my current vehicle is giving strong hints that I kinda need to do something soon... either buy a new vehicle or spend $$$ on it.

- lots of discussion about the sound of the current V8's - I don't mind the understated sound, and the good thing is that when the right hand pedal is pressed and the V8 becomes noticeable it definitely doesn't sound like the unpleasant SV6.

Sounds like you have made up your mind. You're lucky you live in a state where V8s don't cost a fortune to register. If you are still in doubt take more 6s and 8s for a drive. The "strangled cat" does sound a bit unusual.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Really the only negatives with the V8 are purchase price, fuel consumption, and insurance (maybe rego might be dearer in some states, but in NSW rego is the same V6 or V8). If you are OK with the extra say $5000 buy price, fuel isn't really that bad especially if you do a lot of highway type travel. I do limited travel around town in the VE SS, but compared to my VE SIDI SV6 auto that I had before the SS (AFM auto) the fuel seems to be about 2 l/ 100Km difference. Get out on the highway and the difference is near zero. Say if you did 400Km per week (20,000Km pa) then you might use an extra 10 litres of fuel a week (about $15 a week assuming $1.50/ litre). You would have to check insurance but logically the SV6 would be cheaper to insure, question is how much cheaper. I figure come resale time some of that extra purchase price you should get back. I think later build VF V8's should have reasonable resale especially when you won't be able to buy new ones within 2.5 years.
Having just bought a V8 ... I think the LS3's arrival will hurt L77 resale.
But we wanted a car now; and admittedly wanted a particular colour too. And given that we're moving from a VS to the VF, we're likely to keep it past where resale matters. :) [Another reason for us not to get the HFV6 - longevity]

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

For longer highway trips you can definitely get just under 9.0 l/100km, I'd suggest for 50km trips probably not quite that good, but 10 or 11 litres per 100Km might be reasonable to expect. If you had an SV6 it wouldn't be that much better. Maybe you could say the SV6 may get say one litre per 100Km better in the same highway conditions. Given your predominantly highway travel, it's mainly the purchase price difference decision. For me I would say it's a no brainer in favour of the SS, as long as you don't mind the extra purchase price.

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
Sounds like you have made up your mind. You're lucky you live in a state where V8s don't cost a fortune to register. If you are still in doubt take more 6s and 8s for a drive. The "strangled cat" does sound a bit unusual.

Ha ha, re-reading what I wrote does make it sound like I've made up my mind!

Sawndz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Agree with the ss sounding to quiet however I disagree with the Hsv. I have a full clubsport system on my ss and it sounds great.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Agree with the ss sounding to quiet however I disagree with the Hsv. I have a full clubsport system on my ss and it sounds great.

Still nothing like the sound of the old Holden 5 Litre. Even if it does put out less power than the current 3 Litre six!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Still nothing like the sound of the old Holden 5 Litre. Even if it does put out less power than the current 3 Litre six!

Yeah true, but there is a small matter of torque, and if also being an older Commodore the cars weight will be less than a VE even if the oldie has a 5.0 litre. On the other hand the 3.0 litre will have a 6 speed auto, and the transmission will make up some of the difference. I used to have a 5.7 VXII Calais which I traded on (used) MY10 VE SV6 SIDI auto back in 2011. My impressions were that you didn't lose that much overall, and I think the 6 speed auto versus 4 sped auto had a lot to do with that.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Yeah true, but there is a small matter of torque, and if also being an older Commodore the cars weight will be less than a VE even if the oldie has a 5.0 litre. On the other hand the 3.0 litre will have a 6 speed auto, and the transmission will make up some of the difference. I used to have a 5.7 VXII Calais which I traded on (used) MY10 VE SV6 SIDI auto back in 2011. My impressions were that you didn't lose that much overall, and I think the 6 speed auto versus 4 sped auto had a lot to do with that.

Torque is good if you want to tow. 3L and 3.6L better on power to weight, 0-100 and 1/4 mile. If you want to get into modifications then there is more potential for gains in the 8. If torque was everything we would all drive diesel 4x4s or Kenworths.