Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a tune on a new VE void factory warranty?

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've recently picked up a brand new Maloo, and would love to get Chev to tune it, but am worried about the warranty aspect. Will getting a tune void my warranty?
I'm assuming it is a grey area?
Thanks

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi guys.
I've recently picked up a brand new Maloo, and would love to get Chev to tune it, but am worried about the warranty aspect. Will getting a tune void my warranty?
I'm assuming it is a grey area?
Thanks

It is a grey area, each dealer is different with this.

I know the Adelaide based dealers here in SA get picky yet the one out my way didn't care when I reflashed the daily.

Being HSV and a performance bred car I think you will have a lot more wiggle room than with a standard VE

lockmac

Reaction score
So I'm probably best asking the dealer? Should I request something in writing so that they cant' later down the track claim ignorance to the conversation where they agreed its OK?
I'm sure the dealer will try play anything to get out of a warranty claim, but is it at all possible that a tune could do something that could cause other issues? My understand is that only the PCM is tuned, which is purely related to the engine performance management?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Good luck getting anything in writing from a dealer..

However even if the car is tuned, you'd only void drivetrain warranty.. Everything else would still be covered..

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
a smart man would get it tuned and if he ever needed to make a waranty claim, get the old tune flashed back onto it before taking it to Holden. I would never take my car to Holden for servicing... EVER.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
If it is just being serviced, you would be fine, but if drive train warranty claims, or they want to do an PCM flash update, then you may have a problem.
It is a grey area, you could ask, but you would probably be given an answer that will still leave you walking away undecided. Speak with your tuner to see what he can do. If your tuner is local, then it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to have it tuned back to stock tune.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
now I don't know about Holdens.. However I do know that if you return a Ford back to stock the dealership will know that the tune has been altered.. But I'd be assuming that they'd be able to figure out it's been tinkered with..

lockmac

Reaction score
If it is just being serviced, you would be fine, but if drive train warranty claims, or they want to do an PCM flash update, then you may have a problem.
It is a grey area, you could ask, but you would probably be given an answer that will still leave you walking away undecided. Speak with your tuner to see what he can do. If your tuner is local, then it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to have it tuned back to stock tune.

Is the tune literally a computer file that is uploaded to the PCM? I understand getting the tune the way that works best for the car takes a lot of work, but once a tune has been done on a car, is it just a file that is uploaded to the PCM, and can be swapped with the stock program?

Don't know alot about tuning, so just curious!

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Just have a chat to the dealer before you tune it because it doesn't matter what anyone on here says the dealer will have their own opinion.

PJDM1980

Stevothedevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II MY12 SSV Redline
a smart man would get it tuned and if he ever needed to make a waranty claim, get the old tune flashed back onto it before taking it to Holden. I would never take my car to Holden for servicing... EVER.

+1 Agree 110%. Just have the original tune re-installed prior to a service.