Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a V8 exhaust fit on a V6 VU?

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm Ute (Daily), 180SX (Weekender)
Hi everyone,

I've got a V6 VU ute and in need of a new exhaust. I was wondering if anyone knows if I went V6 headers will V8 cats and catback fit?

I thought it would be good to eliminate the V6 y-piece and having a full duel system but if it doesn't work I'll probably just look at simply going a V6 catback.

Cheers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes and no.

I have supplied about 5 or 6 full systems like this, the headers are about 30mm short compared to where the V8 headers finish, even though the V8 cats bolt up and so does the cat back, everything is too far forward by about 30mm. It's all aftermarket but it's available. You need to cut the flange off the rear of the extractors and extend them. I have seen one person bolt in 2 extra flanges between the headers and cats as spacers, that seemed to work too.

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps. That's what I needed to know.

H

harrop.senator

Once again old mates nailed it I myself extended the cat pipes when I converted the mrs super 6 to dually. If you go twins on an na 6 try get 2.25's and not an overly loud one as it'll be even louder on the 6.

Defect

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would a 2.5" work alright? Tends to be a common size. I was looking at the systems with the straight rear pipe. Might a rear muffler be better?

H

harrop.senator

Naaf will have more knowledge. Ive been in a 2.5" twin piped v6 unsure of muffler combo or material but it was loud , droney and sounded like someone farting in a Milo tin honestly.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you go 2 1/2" twin, you need the front and rear mufflers, otherwise it will sound terrible.