Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a VE II's engine stall if you disconnect MAF while its running?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Trying to test my MAF and I've seen if its good the engine will stall, although I pulled mine and it kept running. Is this normal for a VE?

TIA

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think someone is telling you stories. The car should start and run with the maf disconnected. The engine light will light up though.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
I think someone is telling you stories. The car should start and run with the maf disconnected. The engine light will light up though.

Yeah thats why I figured I'd ask here as every car seems to be different, cheers.

Do you know of an actual way to see if its working properly? I pulled the plug while the car was running, started idling slightly worse but when I plugged it back in I heard a fan start and it was making alot of noise so shut off the car, started it again and it seems to be fine so I'm a bit stumped haha

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The best way would be to plug in a decent scanner and see if the air flow values look correct and vary with the revs.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah thats why I figured I'd ask here as every car seems to be different, cheers.

Do you know of an actual way to see if its working properly? I pulled the plug while the car was running, started idling slightly worse but when I plugged it back in I heard a fan start and it was making alot of noise so shut off the car, started it again and it seems to be fine so I'm a bit stumped haha

Did your 'check engine' light come on?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
The best way would be to plug in a decent scanner and see if the air flow values look correct and vary with the revs.

I just went for a drive and noticed RPM was fluctuating at idle so connected scanner and took a vid:

Is it normal for RPM to fluctuate with g/s at idle?

Did your 'check engine' light come on?

Not specifically for the MAF but the cars been running like chit for a few months now with -25% LTFT so I'm just running through anything that can cause such bad fuel trims. Although in the video above they're sitting around -10%.. no idea why the car has had a change of mind

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Took out the MAF and sprayed with MAF cleaner, let dry and put back in, turned it on and It just now set off code p0113... the engine RPMs are now staying around ~550 and the g/s is staying around 3 g/s, does this now point to a MAF problem?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the maf calibration is g/s so if rpm is up n down the maf frequency will be up n down and thus the g/s will alter also, cleaning the maf usually affects it if it were dirty so could be reading differently now, p0113 is iat related which can be within the maf