Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will changing the tyres or rims on my car change the eyebrow height?

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 6 Speed Manual
I have a vy ute that is defected for the eyebrow height being 10 mm to low from stock just wondering if I swap the size of rims I have on the car or even just the tyres on the rims will that give me more eyebrow height? Thanks

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
More info needed.
What state defects a car that is 10mm lower than stock ?
What rims and tyres are on it at present ?
Have you fitted it with lowered springs ?
How did you upset Mr. Plod in the first place to get such attention to a small detail ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have a vy ute that is defected for the eyebrow height being 10 mm to low from stock just wondering if I swap the size of rims I have on the car or even just the tyres on the rims will that give me more eyebrow height? Thanks
Were passengers in the car as Mr. Plod measured the eyebrow height?

The vehicle is supposed to be at tare weight, that is no passengers , luggage, etc within the vehicle when measuring. Mr Plod knows this so figjam‘s last question is relevant :p
More info needed.... How did you upset Mr. Plod in the first place to get such attention to a small detail ?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You can increase the tyre profile, but this will throw an abs error between front and rear sensors along with your speedo

Simplest way is to raise it

Iirc SA or NSW does eyebrow height

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you can't really change the overall diameter of the wheel legally and practically as a bigger tyre wont fit with out hitting the inner guard.
Surely if the car is only 10mm lower than stock you can just go and get the defect removed?

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
EYEBROW HEIGHT is from centre of axle to edge of mudguard. The wheel and tyre has no effect on this. Is is a function of springs and whatever weight is sitting on them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
EYEBROW HEIGHT is from centre of axle to edge of mudguard. The wheel and tyre has no effect on this. Is is a function of springs and whatever weight is sitting on them.
Which is why the passengers shouldn't be sitting within the car when it's being messured. Having 3 blokes in the back seat may add 300kgs... In such cases, 300kgs will probably result in more than much more than the 10mm in question...

Acording to VF spring rates here, 300kg would drop the eybrow height by more like 50mm+... no idea for VY...

The eyebrow height (measuring verictically from wheel center to bottom of fender) is specified in a vehicle certification documents so listed on the RVD. As an example see the bottom part of the SSV Redline RVD. Obviously the RVD doesn't specifiy the legal minimum modded height, only the stock factory height.