Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will ecotec (VT-VY) alternator fit earlier VN?

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Will a ecotec alternator fit straight into a S1 VN.
I have a mate who's alternator packed it in his S1 VN and i was just wondering if we can get a newer one out of say a VT or VX and replace it with that.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i think they have a higher amp output cos they are used for charging calcium batteries.... might need to wait and what the difference is between the actual charge rate of the alternator

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
i think they have a higher amp output cos they are used for charging calcium batteries.... might need to wait and what the difference is between the actual charge rate of the alternator
Im not worried about the amps, i think they are all 85 amp from memory (might be wrong)
Higher amps would be better for sound system ect.
Just need to know if brackets, plugs and pulleys are the same

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh but the voltage it produces could be above 15 volts which could cause some problems with some circuits

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
dont they all put out 13.3 or something similar to that, i know my VT alternator does and my old VN alternaror did the same.

EDIT
VT
Max output 100 amps
Max current 14.2 - 14.6 volts

From memory vn is 85 amps with same 14.2 - 14.6 volts

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Ok VN-VS is 85 amp VT onwards is 100 amp.
Brackets are the same so it looks like it will fit.
I know a VS one will fit a VT so it must go the other way too
If all else fails ill just get a VS one

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Peanuts Inc. mate, I think your having stabs in the dark and chevy_big_block_bro is solving his own problem.

I think the VE may have just started using calcium-calcium batteries, possibly the VZ, but all other models use a standard lead acid battery. This means that they are all running at the same voltage. AMP output is different, as chevy_big_block_bro pointed out, but thats fine. There is no need to get a new battery unless your other one has failed, and you dont need a calcium-calcium battery.

Havent had to swap them over myself, but good luck. Hope it fits and works, let us know how you go.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Peanuts Inc. mate, I think your having stabs in the dark and chevy_big_block_bro is solving his own problem.

I think the VE may have just started using calcium-calcium batteries, possibly the VZ, but all other models use a standard lead acid battery. This means that they are all running at the same voltage. AMP output is different, as chevy_big_block_bro pointed out, but thats fine. There is no need to get a new battery unless your other one has failed, and you dont need a calcium-calcium battery.

Havent had to swap them over myself, but good luck. Hope it fits and works, let us know how you go.
Looking aver a few different engine bay pics and ive come to a conclusion that it wont fit.
The ecotec bracket is totaly different.
Thing that threw me was bosch have the same part number for VN-VS.
Vs being ecotec.
Looks like we'll be putting a VR one it coz im over moding stuff to fit where i can buy one that already fits.
Thanks for the help

48-215

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajerodore
Bumpage instead of new thread... same question, if I use all the VT brackets will the VT alt go on a S1 VN V6 engine? Swap coil bracket too...idler pulley etc.????? Has anyone tried in the 15 years since it was originally asked?