Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will ecotec (VT-VY) alternator fit earlier VN?

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but do have a couple of questions

So got a VS ecotec ute which had noisy alternator bearings and due to its age rather then replace just the bearings I got a new alternator for it

Now also have a VT ecotec wagon bush basher and its now got alternator warning light on and no charge am going to check wiring and all that first but have had a look and it appears the VS has two alternator plugs where the VT only has one? And the VT does not appear to have a voltage regulator I'm pretty sure they were all on the back of the alternator in the ecotec so this does not make sense

Long story short what would it take to make VS alternator fit into the VT if possible as I'm going to use the old VS one as it's only as bush basher and still charges good, sorry about the really long post just curious

Thank you.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
If anyone knows if vs alternator would fit into a vt please let me know

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I was fairly certain all ecotec alternators were the same, or rather the plugs were the same. It may be possible that 2 different brand alternators were used which look slightly differently but they should bolt up exactly the same and use the same plug.

Easy enough to pull of and compare though.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi thank you for the reply- well have inspected both and they look the same but the plug looks to be in a slightly different position and there does appear to be two plugs so will have to take it apart to have a look

Dad has a VY and it's alternator looks more like the one in the VS so will have to compare them I think.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I took off the alternator today and found fortunately there is just the one plug but the regulator is actually inbuilt which is something I have never seen on an ecotec v6 alternator but nevertheless it plugs in the same

Thank you immortality for your help