Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Fitting a catch can on my alloytec help me.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Hay guys, need some help/ feedback with a problem I'm having.

So I'm thinking of getting a catch can for my car as I keep having trouble with oil getting on my maff sensor after giving the car a bit, it seems to leak out the throttle body into the otr and gets on the maff sensor which causes the car to miss and is down on power, now i have a v6 alloytec with a tune and otr fitted but I'm not sure if a catch can will fix my problem?

Cheers scott

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
You can connect a catch can inline with the hose that goes to your otr. It connects to the passenger side valve cover. But buy a good one like elite engineering, or buy a cheap one and put a filter on top, but don't connect it inline.

Inline should go like this: valve cover hose to catch can (sealed) then to the otr

Or breather: valve cover to catchcan (vented) and plug the hole in the otr.

Although its not the pcv hose that leaks, it's called a breather hose, and alloytecs leak some blowby through it.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Thanks for the info mate, so do u think it will fix my problem I'm haveing by fitting a catch can?

Cheers Scott

Last edited:

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
It should stop oil getting into the Intank yes. Although a maf will heat the wire when the car is turned off to over 1000 degrees to burn any oil from the maf wire

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Try cleaning the throttle and maf and if the misfire is still there it could be something else. I had a miss at high rpm only and it was a dead coil

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Try cleaning the throttle and maf and if the misfire is still there it could be something else. I had a miss at high rpm only and it was a dead coil

I have cleaned the maff man, that's how I no it's that as it runs fine for a while than when it starts to play up again ill re clean the maff and its all good again, in the last 20'000 ks I've put all new coils in and new plugs thinking it was one of them but still has the problem whitch I'm sure is just a oily maff

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Hear is a pic of we're the oil is and a pic of we're my maff sits in the otr, as you can see its exactly in front so any oil leaked out goes on it.
976319F0-7AB9-4536-ADCB-EC19B0BA5265-5849-000002C01AC30CBA_zps6a32178a.jpg

6AE36CBE-3D2E-412B-9DCF-F0D5F0029450-5859-000002C0AC730D56_zps59b857d8.jpg

Cheers scott

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
How quick does it take for that much oil? If it builds that much oil quickly I would say check your pcv hoses and valve in the drivers side rocker cover, they may be blocked and forcing oil through the breather tube. If that all ends up being good I'd have a compression test done as it may look like you have excessive blow by past the piston rings

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
What oil do you use also? It looks pretty old and thin from what I can see

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
How quick does it take for that much oil? If it builds that much oil quickly I would say check your pcv hoses and valve in the drivers side rocker cover, they may be blocked and forcing oil through the breather tube. If that all ends up being good I'd have a compression test done as it may look like you have excessive blow by past the piston rings

I could do a few hundred ks an there would be that much oil there again but it doesn't always make the car play up, I normally just check it after I notice it idling a bit ruff, yer that's a good idear ill get that PVC hose checked and while its there ill get the compression done aswell, don't think it's the rings tho as the car runs to good to be low on compression but will be interesting to see anyway.

Cheers scott