Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will it rub

BroccoliXI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 Sv6 black edition
So I’ve just bought some new rims and wheels for my 2016 vf series 2 sv6 black edition commodore.. they’re 20” rims but the place where out of stock for 35’s for the wheels so got offered half price for 45’s..

Will it rub?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If you're spending-up on a set of 20" rims, I'm guessing you're wanting a particular appearance … I can't answer your question about rubbing, but have you seen what this will look like? Because 45 series is a little bit 4WD-ey to me.

Also, regarding the rubbing, what width(s) and offset are you planning?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you're spending-up on a set of 20" rims, I'm guessing you're wanting a particular appearance … I can't answer your question about rubbing, but have you seen what this will look like? Because 45 series is a little bit 4WD-ey to me.

Also, regarding the rubbing, what width(s) and offset are you planning?

I think you'll see he mentioned the offset....ie 45

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So I’ve just bought some new rims and wheels for my 2016 vf series 2 sv6 black edition commodore.. they’re 20” rims but the place where out of stock for 35’s for the wheels so got offered half price for 45’s..

Will it rub?

What width are they, offset is useless without width.

BroccoliXI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 Sv6 black edition
The wheels themselves are 245/45/20 the rims are 20X8.5 5x120

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Go to a different shop, those tyres are too tall for your car. They are probably trying to get rid of some crusty old tyres they have had on the shelf for years on end. A decent tyre shop wouldn't recommend putting the incorrect tyre size on your car. And would have 245/35r 20 on the shelf as they are a common size or as a minimum offer to order them in for you. If I were you I'd go somewhere else

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The wheels themselves are 245/45/20 the rims are 20X8.5 5x120

Tyres are tyres, rims are rims and when they are mated together they become wheels or rims and tyres.

That helps when asking questions.

As pointed out the 45 profile tyre size is wrong and 35 profile tyres are common and readily available and can be sourced same day or overnight by retailers if not in stock.

A 245/35/20 has an overall diameter of about 680mm
A 245/45/20 has an overall diameter of about 729mm
A difference of 49mm or 7.2% which is way too much.

20x8.5 is the rim diameter and width.

5x120 is the PCD which is the measurement for the stud pattern and in this case it's a Holden Commodore stud pattern but is also common to BMW's and can be for some other makes.

You will need the rim offset measurement to determine if it rubs or not but in most cases a 8.5 inch wide Holden specific rim shouldn't rub unless the retailer has absolutely no idea.

I think for memory Holden uses a positive +48 offset for an 8.5 inch rim and that's conservative to avoid rubbing and suspension problems.

If in doubt any reputable retailer will check fitment on the vehicle before you buy in case you're not happy or they don't fit.

Also google how to check the date of manufacture on the tyres and if they are old stock, walk away.

It's generally accepted that after 6 years regardless of the condition of the tyre it has run it's life and no longer will preform as it should.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Given the retailer in question is trying to flog @BroccoliXI 45 series tyres, I expect this is the case....or dodgy. Either way I would avoid.

Agree, it all sounds doggy to me as well.

The other thing is if they are rims made for a BMW which will fit the axel stubs, the offset for the Beemers can sometimes cause a problem for a Commodore.