Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
So the title of the thread says "flogs" but the second sentence says "pips".

This is typical of the the anti-Commodore hype largely fuelled by people who wouldn't buy a Commodore, from either Holden or Opel.

I haven't heard anyone question the handling ability of the KIA - it's one thing to do 4.9s in a straight line but how good/fast is it when it gets to the corner? I would be extremely surprised if KIA's first showroom version would beat a VF2 Redline or even SS around Bathurst. In recent days video as emerged of the 2018 Commodore showing its AWD ability on a track. The only Stingers I've seen have been stationary (not that I've looked too far but the internet is hardly jumping with Stingers doing anything but sitting on a dias or in a carpark.

Yes, I know KIA is supposedly still tuning it for Aussie conditions but with 6 months to go I would think something more convincing than talk is required before too much longer. Even then I wouldn't touch one for the first couple of years from a reliability point of view (regardless of warranty).

The hype is such that even the fake vents are being excused by the armchair experts - yet if VF2 bumper ducting & bonnet vents were fake the same people would be criticising it for this alone. Then there's the exhaust note - maybe KIA could go for fake, simulated sound here also?

I agree, the amount of hype surrounding this car is ridiculous. Kia must be rubbing their hands together with the amount of fools they've sucked in.

H

harrop.senator

Looks hot pending the price tag id contemplate one as a newer car. Korean reliabilitys pretty decent these days. In my opinion no company makes them like they used to.

Joys of always trying to be the first out with new technology its not all tried and trued yet. The only thing i always hated of the korean cars were the plastic cheap feeling interiors but in my opinion holdens now are no better.

I think the hyundai genesis 2 litre turbo is onw of the cooler new cars coming out. Something like 1200kgs rwd and turbo yes please.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I like the looks , but it's like the good looking girl next door who's name is Gertrude Hornswoggle

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
But Holden time is 4.9 too?
Yeah, seems I can't read.
Beats it's theoretical self, though!

This is typical of the the anti-Commodore hype largely fuelled by people who wouldn't buy a Commodore, from either Holden or Opel.
All the enthusiasm I've seen for the Stinger has been as a result of Commodore being dead & buried; it's people looking for something large & RWD in the post-Falcodore world.

The only thing i always hated of the korean cars were the plastic cheap feeling interiors but in my opinion holdens now are no better.
Huh? VF is the first, and obviously last, Commodore to not have a plastic cheap-feeling interior!

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
It has not even been released yet and the ignorant among us, who have never seen the car in the metal let alone driven one, have already written it off and are crapping all over it. How can it be any good, it's not a V8 ...bla bla bla

KIA is doing a good job on pre-marketing the car and that's what they are in business for. On paper it looks like a decent 4 door and the styling from pictures and videos is right up to date - unlike the current Commodore whose basic styling is a decade old but is still holding up quite well. It won't in another 5 years hence. We will have to wait and see what GM finally releases here with the European product to be badged a Commodore but what has been made public to date sure does not look hopeful. If GM can come up with something as stylish and powerful as the Stinger at a sensible price and which is much more reliable than the typical European product, I would be encouraged. I very much doubt though that any of the Euro product GM offers here will prove to be as robust and reliable as the typical Aust built Commodore over a 5 year time span.

I will wait and see how the Stinger performs when it hits the showrooms and is thoroughly tested. I will drive one before judging its performance and handling. You would also want to see how the car stacks up in reliability over time before passing judgement on a new yet to be released product. Then there is the question of price. At least KIA is planning to offer an interesting 4 door performance sedan here of a kind that Toyota and Honda don't seem to have any interest in. The best Honda can do in 4 door sedans is to offer a 6 cylinder Accord in FWD with boring generic styling and a very hefty price tag. Forget about any Toyota 4 door sedans unless boring FWD Camrys and Aurions turn you on. If you like large Fords you can always spend $70000 AUD on a fairly basic but over priced V8 Mustang if you are happy with a 2 door.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Looks hot pending the price tag id contemplate one as a newer car. Korean reliabilitys pretty decent these days. In my opinion no company makes them like they used to.

Joys of always trying to be the first out with new technology its not all tried and trued yet. The only thing i always hated of the korean cars were the plastic cheap feeling interiors but in my opinion holdens now are no better.

I think the hyundai genesis 2 litre turbo is onw of the cooler new cars coming out. Something like 1200kgs rwd and turbo yes please.
Out of interest, which Holdens' are you inferring are better, on what basis, and with better quality interior than the VF?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Yeah, seems I can't read.
Beats it's theoretical self, though!

All the enthusiasm I've seen for the Stinger has been as a result of Commodore being dead & buried; it's people looking for something large & RWD in the post-Falcodore world.

Huh? VF is the first, and obviously last, Commodore to not have a plastic cheap-feeling interior!
Yes Forg, I do agree that on this site people have proven enthusiasm for large, RWD sedan and so would look at the Stinger, but that is not the case in general as shown by the dying sales of large sedans.

I was referring to the 1000s of responses on car sites in general, from the usual suspects that don't give a fig about buying RWD. Their preference is for singing the praises of high riding SUVs, hot and not so hot hatches, pick-ups etc etc.

I have no doubt that if Holden had unveiled the Stinger as the next Commodore then most of them would maintain their hatred for this architecture.

The majority of those people talked endlessly about the irrelevance of RWD until along comes a KIA and they want to declare it as the best thing since sliced bread. These same people considered HSV as over done styling - yet here is the Stinger with more holes than a piece of Swisscheese, fake vents everywhere etc. Now all of a sudden these traditional haters & skeptics of large RWD sedans have become converts of a KIA from day 1, well before any release of real world testing.

In short, I take notice of the opinions of people on this site because they walk the walk when it comes to large, RWD sedans - unlike the majority of bloggers on other sites who have always been happy to put down the Holden Commodore. Surely you've seen the comments from those that claim Commodores have never been good at road handling so the Stinger is sure to be better, blah, blah - they're simply sheeples that don't have a clue, yet they are responsible for so much of the pro-Stinger hysteria.