Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
We should be celebrating this car and others like it. As for its performance claims, let's wait for real world results rather than believing marketing.
Celebrate because it's a RWD sedan?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Make them like they used to I meant as soft and grainy ive only been in pov pack vfs not flash ones but the material seems thicker and softer in the earlier models especially vr vs. I couldnt get over how hard and uncomfortable the centre console lid and arm rests feel in vfs. I know that the old ones the vinyl they used was more prone to cracking and wear but in my opinion was plusher and comfortable. I didnt mean the actual " lasting " of the newer ones to be any worse off they probably last longer being a closer to plastic (in my opinion feeling wise) material then the older ones. I simply meamt the materials have changed and they dont make new interiors the same in any cars. I find the rubberized padding feel has gone in most cars now.
Yeah, fair enough mate.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
We should be celebrating this car and others like it. As for its performance claims, let's wait for real world results rather than believing marketing.
Hell will freeze over before I celebrate a Kia or anything Korean for that matter.
Why would I want to celebrate a car that's coming here to essentially dance on the graves of our much loved local cars?
The Koreans played a big part in the demise of local manufacturing by flooding our market with cheap imports, so there's no way I will ever support them. They can take their cheap chintzy cars and go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hyundai isnt the same company they were 10-15 years ago and neither are their cars. The company has a big hold in Europe and as a result the technology and advancements they are putting in cars, all throughout their price range has grown to suit.

In 2015 I went car shopping for a family member for a small/medium SUV. Things not to have were CVT, double clutch, turbo petrol or diesel, a dash that didn’t have a super-glued tablet, and a shape that didn’t look as it had been pre-dinged in a car-park
Last two remaining on the list were a Trax and a Sportage, and the Trax was a far distant second.
The sales lady, after telling me how great the Korean built Sportage was, was disbelieving when I pointed out it was designed by Europeans and built in Slovakia. I would not describe the interior as cheap and plasticky. Only one thing, it is nearly as big as our Territory, and the Territory was not on the list as it was ‘too big’. Visual perception ??!
So Kia have got their **** in one pile very quickly during the last few years and seem to take the Australian market very seriously.
A lot of Kia negativity on here, just like it was to Toyota during the 1970's. If Falcadores were still around, I would have to agree, but as 426Cuda said But, it is what it is.” and the end of Oz manufacturing is nearly here. We will just have swallow the sour grapes and get over it.
PS ...... I have not voted because even though I may be 'happy' in a Kia, I would not be 'happier' (compared to a proper Holden).

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That works both ways though.
It has not even been released, seen in the metal or driven yet people are blindly praising this car and hyping it up as though it is the second coming.

True. And others who haven't seen or driven it are **** canning it. It cuts both ways. I think those who have basically said "it's a Kia so it's crap" need a reality check. Kia has improved its engineering, design and quality in leaps and bounds over the past few years and if you're going to offer a seven year unlimited k's warranty, your product has to be well designed and properly put together. In that regard, typically, GM drags the chain. Can you imagine them offering such a warrant in the foreseeable future? Stuffed if I can.

Ten years from now I see the Holden name being dead and buried and Kia being a major world player. I'd love to be wrong about Holden's future but I don't think I am.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
A Kia that goes, I think our Highway Patrol has it's new car.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I haven't taken any notice of this KIA thing yet and probably never will.
But is this thing rear wheel drive ? If it is problem solved for the die hard V8 fans.......
Any LS configuration or LSA Crate motor should make it more appealing :)

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Celebrate because it's a RWD sedan?

I really hope it does well over here, it Wil help reinforce the market for affordable , powerful, piston engined rwd cars... If it flops, many other manufacturers may have a long look at the market trend, influencing future models.

Trofius answered pretty well for me. Affordable, sporty, RWD sedans are becoming a rare breed and in my opinion any such car that's made today should be celebrated and given a chance, if only as a lesser-quality option. At least we get the option.

Hell will freeze over before I celebrate a Kia or anything Korean for that matter.
Why would I want to celebrate a car that's coming here to essentially dance on the graves of our much loved local cars?
The Koreans played a big part in the demise of local manufacturing by flooding our market with cheap imports, so there's no way I will ever support them. They can take their cheap chintzy cars and go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Commodores are going whether we like it or not, whether we blame the Australian Government or GM or Asian manufacturers, Commodores are going. The reality is that Kia's cars have improved a lot over the last 5 years and whether we like it or not cars like the Stinger will be our only non-European, affordable options very soon. Where is GM's RWD option? Exactly, they don't give a **** about Australia. At least Kia is making an attempt.

Last edited: