Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
It's Australia day....I drive an Australian made car.....a Commodore.....
I enjoy giving it a squirt now and then...........
And I don't really give a flying ' flog ' about what a Kia 'Springer" does.....!
I’m with you GTS...a late(ish) model Jag joined the roundabout just in front of me this morning....it had a pair of plastic Aussie flags in those white holders, one fluttering from each of drivers & passengers windows. Now, I’m a proud Aussie but I find these flags a bit cringeworthy and I’m sure if I had them on my SS wagon I’d be called a Bogan...so what do we call those flying them from foreign made cars??

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
No, physics and the laws that govern the real world. Yes simple if you bother your arse to learn but what you are arguing is not engineering or physics.
I showed you the best example in a video, I linked to the science of engineering we are discussing, listed specific examples of common engines at the same effective capacity by same manufacturer.
Posted in a list are boosted engines and model names of their naturally aspirated counterpart.
I assumed that to argue pressurised engines are always best that people were familiar with the stock output(s) of the hero cars, but it’s pretty simple to Google factory specs and see for yourself, there is no comparison.
But seriously if you don’t get the pressurised vessel analogy either read up the info in the link provided or stop posting same stuff in this thread. Start another thread, plenty of people in your shoes confusing efficiency and capacity and magic of boost. Not here as infinitum please, I started this thread OP to discuss before official release whether a Stinger will flog a Stock SS.
Objective real world local proof is still out there, best quality real world information I have says the stock of each output is matched:
Kia Stinger GT 3.3T RWD
Base: 248.56 kW / 507.6 Nm
FBO & reflash
Stage 1: 307.95 kW / 617.2 Nm

Kia Stinger GT 3.3T AWD
Base: 225.1 kW / 505.3 Nm
FBO & reflash
Stage 1: 284.96 kW / 598.3 Nm

Awfully close to a shitty stock NA V8, not a lay down Meziere both with FBO and tune either.
Yes the LS does surprisingly well for an NA engine but to answer your topic, the 3.3L kia will flog an ss.. because of its turbo.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi Immortality,

Is that Kiwi english?

Call it what you like, it's all relative but on the forum I like to stick to the KISS principle ;)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I’m with you GTS...a late(ish) model Jag joined the roundabout just in front of me this morning....it had a pair of plastic Aussie flags in those white holders, one fluttering from each of drivers & passengers windows. Now, I’m a proud Aussie but I find these flags a bit cringeworthy and I’m sure if I had them on my SS wagon I’d be called a Bogan...so what do we call those flying them from foreign made cars??

Doesn't matter what car the flags fly from , its ' Straya day , having said that I don't fly the New Zealand flag on Waitangi day for the same reason , it's a bit cringeworthy , I do however have a South African flag sticker on both cars rear number plate . :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Waitangi day, a paid day off.... and to this day it still seems to be a holiday that represents divisiveness rather Nationhood and 100% cringeworthy!

Right, back to arguing the merits of (what the **** are we arguing about again?)....

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Call it what you like, it's all relative but on the forum I like to stick to the KISS principle ;)
Isn't it interesting that the tech is there but we choose not to use it.

Monstar, through research and asking the right people the right questions has managed to work out a recipe that works both in terms of output and consumption. Just through having a go.

It's the Australian way! Happy Australia Day!

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Let's apply KISS:
Stinger GT is faster than a stock LS3 but would lose to a modified LS3 with 375kw/385kw like my MSE.
Can we close the thread now?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Let's apply KISS:
Stinger GT is faster than a stock LS3 but would lose to a modified LS3 with 375kw/385kw like my MSE.

Now this man is on the money, lets compare apples with apples, if the Stinger GT is the high end model than we really should compare it to LSA equipped model to start with ....

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Let's apply KISS:
Hang on a bit longer. Let’s just wait and see what flies up the flagpole.
Best evidence suggests output stock for stock is neck-a-neck, the AWD has some pros off the line but handling is not there yet.
The big revelation however is the car is not a large family sedan as per the PR juggernaut.
Put another way, at the airport car rental desk would you pay 3x a Cerato for a car that looks same, same features listed on the hire sheet, carries the same passengers less luggage? Only difference is sports feel and the potential that one can get you a ticket quicker.
Commie is obviously full sized and luxury in a tangible, practical sense for driving four adults - not all faux suede and Mylar cramped like a Manila taxi for sportiness.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
A Volvo won the Car of Year 2018 (XC60)...Kia Stinger didn't and the $170k GTS R W1 didn't. Just shows picking a car is really down to personal choice and I have chosen Commodore.