Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Im so confused with all the inflated hp numbers in your previous post..

I said ~500rwhp (around)

So you went through all that effort to build a 14:1 L77 with vvt that runs on alchole and you ended up with 370rwkw? Can it run on 98? What'd all that cost ya??

If i went to all that effort I'd be pissed whenever someone mentions "turbo" as well! I mean good on you for doing something different but come on its nothing to brag about. Maybe if you were getting those numbers with 10:1 I'd be impressed..
I realise you are confused with numbers, but this impresses me - AFM and VVT near 40% thermal efficiency, makes same power as an LS9, same peak torque but for 1500 RPM longer up top. And it is truly instant, and professionally engineered to run at 85% max torque 3000-5900 all day, not just the combustion chamber and breathing but modified fuel and lubrication system to run close to ideal thermodynamically.
So yeah, where would turbo help me again?
BTW I drive a high pressure turbo zippy car when I need to, had one on and off for past 35 years. No comparison to NA daily torque monster.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
I realise you are confused with numbers, but this impresses me - AFM and VVT near 40% thermal efficiency, makes same power as an LS9, same peak torque but for 1500 RPM longer up top. And it is truly instant, and professionally engineered to run at 85% max torque 3000-5900 all day, not just the combustion chamber and breathing but modified fuel and lubrication system to run close to ideal thermodynamically.
So yeah, where would turbo help me again?
BTW I drive a high pressure turbo zippy car when I need to, had one on and off for past 35 years. No comparison to NA daily torque monster.
So your fully rebuild high compression alchole burning L77 is comparable and even better than a stock off the shelf ls9?? So it bloody should be!

Rebuild the ls9 to similar spec (minus the 14:1) and then do a comparison.

My NA crossplane crankshaft r1 is raw as ****. But the feeling of a worked engine coming on boost is just something you will never achieve with an NA setup.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So your fully rebuild high compression alchole burning L77 is comparable and even better than a stock off the shelf ls9?? So it bloody should be!

Rebuild the ls9 to similar spec (minus the 14:1) and then do a comparison.

My NA crossplane crankshaft r1 is raw as ****. But the feeling of a worked engine coming on boost is just something you will never achieve with an NA setup.
Ok, thanks for that. Glad you got that off your chest and into perspective.
I think we are talking cross purpose now, point of tuning my car is to have an economical daily thrasher that is a torque monster 3000-6000 and piss on basically anything on the road (including your R1 to highway speed, pretty close unless you are locked and loaded).
View media item 302Bay looks stock, sounds stock,
View media item 103and goes same all day through Hell in summer Tumut with chains, fully loaded.
View media item 341Plenty more boastful hubris and detailed derp in the build thread, promise. Sk more there now back to slagging the Korean please.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
EDIT: Ah I see why the skepticism, 560 rwhp (417 rwkw) is near max street GenIV VVT. Not 560 rwkw, fixed now sorry :confused:
Actual numbers 635 HP NA mild cam 500 rwhp BTW, near stock cam but with VVT, high BMEP custom build WOT torque plateaus 3200-5900 RPM. Scenario is third gear carrying load up sufficient real world grading many places can refer examples like say southbound Moonee Bridge on M1 so as to meet near steady state torque - in my experience is pulling 2750 GVM 80-180kph mostly WOT third gear 2.92 diff.

Who’s talking trap speed? That’s nothing to do with this thread stinger vs SS. Start your own drag racing thread, here is way off topic.
I don’t give a toot about what my daily station wagon traps or DA adjusted et personally, dumbass kids stuff. BTW I have 2.92 gears and bypassed first in the TCM, coz I’m over squeelin wheels or racing kids at lights in the Black Pearl. See my build thread if you want specs.
Turbo was big in the eighties actually, now is a matter of cheap fix for emissions compliance using a kind of forced egr. That combustion cycle was pioneered in France after WWI. Ridiculous to say that turbos are where it’s at for the (4” bore) LS, unless we are talking open ocean race boats.
Thought that may have been what you meant.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Im so confused with all the inflated hp numbers in your previous post..

I said ~500rwhp (around)

So you went through all that effort to build a 14:1 L77 with vvt that runs on alchole and you ended up with 370rwkw? Can it run on 98? What'd all that cost ya??

If i went to all that effort I'd be pissed whenever someone mentions "turbo" as well! I mean good on you for doing something different but come on its nothing to brag about. Maybe if you were getting those numbers with 10:1 I'd be impressed..
Actually a bit over 470rwkw. With a mild cam and good fuel ecomomy. For a mild mannered NA V8, it's impressive alright.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
"and piss on basically anything on the road (including your R1 to highway speed, pretty close unless you are locked and loaded).

Geez so now black pearl does 0-100 in 2.8 seconds?? Monster alright!

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
When is Cuda's ride getting done?

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
But aren’t you comparing a tuned car to stock? WTF man, we are talking stock off the floor.

Like I said, they ran a 12.8 in the *stock* Kia, its a decent time and in my opinion the slowest you would want to be going when buying a performance car these days..... *otherwise* you are getting embarrassed by a golf with a tune.

While we are at it quit pretending all modifications are the same with this stock vs modified BS. Some guy taking his golf R for a flash tune is not the same as turning an L77 inside out and requiring a whole build thread to explain it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Like I said, they ran a 12.8 in the *stock* Kia, its a decent time and in my opinion the slowest you would want to be going when buying a performance car these days..... *otherwise* you are getting embarrassed by a golf with a tune.

While we are at it quit pretending all modifications are the same with this stock vs modified BS. Some guy taking his golf R for a flash tune is not the same as turning an L77 inside out and requiring a whole build thread to explain it.
Golf R (factory FBO) with flash ain’t going to get low 12s, FBO SS and a flash will.
BTW I can describe the build in five words, Hundredhorsesperlitre allmotor Sixpointone eats LS9. That needs a bit of explaining, eh?
I’ve not explained much before in five years, savvy people asked for detail, said in summary it was 14:1 using e85 with VVT, AFM active. You really either get that or no.
People who understand that want more detail so at this crossroad of overhaul ima break down the old build first time in seven years, then explain the current build: 16:1 e0-e100 full swing VVT with revised AFM valvetrain.
Yeah is more involved, more people’s expertise and more of an engineering challenge than dropshipped branded contraptions to cool induction on a two litre buzz box.
The notion any forced induction is high tech is the joke, pity you don’t recognise that, over 100 years old now. Today energy efficiency is the challenge, managing massive energy flexibility from startup through idle through reliable operation at varying load.
I think Redex / Repco trials were better indicator for measuring a car’s mettle in my world versus a 10 second dash on the tarmac.