Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Ok, thanks for that. Glad you got that off your chest and into perspective.
I think we are talking cross purpose now, point of tuning my car is to have an economical daily thrasher that is a torque monster 3000-6000 and piss on basically anything on the road (including your R1 to highway speed, pretty close unless you are locked and loaded).
View media item 302Bay looks stock, sounds stock,
View media item 103and goes same all day through Hell in summer Tumut with chains, fully loaded.
View media item 341Plenty more boastful hubris and detailed derp in the build thread, promise. Sk more there now back to slagging the Korean please.
Hey pir4te love the screen shot thingy with the 839nm@5500.
That works out to be near 650hp at 5500 , mega mate.
If the torque is as flat as you say (say 780 at 6500) that's 712hp mega mega mate.
Good to see your l77 flogging a 5th gen 8.4 litre viper( weak 813nm).
And making more hp than a hellcat(weak 707).
All this while returning 35mpg or 6.7 l/100k on e85 no less.
Have you considered going into business producing pir4te spec engines?
Maybe Just Commodore members could crowdfund.?
I mean no auto manufacturer, Ferrari, AMG, Porshce, BMW, Audi can match your torque figures with their wanky twin turbo direct injection v8s .
Come on everyone lets get Aussie manufacturing going with the greatest internal combustion engine ever - the pir4te spec l77.
LOL

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Today energy efficiency is the challenge, managing massive energy flexibility from startup through idle through reliable operation at varying load.
Adding to this; I suspect emissions, ie. of noxious stuff not just CO2 overall, is a bigger challenge - probably not technically more or less of a challenge, except that emissions are up against a hard legislative wall so it's currently "more important".

This is the real reason all your BMW's, Benzes, etc have been going for smaller force-fed engines; and to be honest, I'm not sure the real world fuel- or emissions-efficiency of those engines is as good as we might like to think (ie. they're designed to meet some rules, and rules aren't the real world).

Pyrex ... I don't think it's fair to be comparing production engines that have to run on pump fuel & also have to survive a bit of mis-servicing ...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hey pir4te love the screen shot thingy with the 839nm@5500.
That works out to be near 650hp at 5500 , mega mate.
If the torque is as flat as you say (say 780 at 6500) that's 712hp mega mega mate.
Good to see your l77 flogging a 5th gen 8.4 litre viper( weak 813nm).
And making more hp than a hellcat(weak 707).
All this while returning 35mpg or 6.7 l/100k on e85 no less.
Have you considered going into business producing pir4te spec engines?
Maybe Just Commodore members could crowdfund.?
I mean no auto manufacturer, Ferrari, AMG, Porshce, BMW, Audi can match your torque figures with their wanky twin turbo direct injection v8s .
Come on everyone lets get Aussie manufacturing going with the greatest internal combustion engine ever - the pir4te spec l77.
LOL
Mate I don’t know you if you are joking or what but it is what it is, and no, don’t know any manufacturer that produces a flex fuel high comp 14+ CR V8 6+ litre full swing VVT with less than 650 HP.
Could say that about a K20 civic engine that Loeb holds Pikes Peak record too eh?
LOL
Anyways that was a few years ago, learned some points going forward now 16:1, different cam, reversed VVT and revised AFM.
Joking or no, KMA mofo, either put your money where your mouth is go out on a limb and build something special for yourself else (mr fricken jelly tassie nobody bolt of blue who has no idea about ethanol or physics), STFU.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
LOL
Sure has got the torque for a fun street car! But comparing a fully built high compression v8 running on alcohol - to a run off the mill, stock as a rock, conservatively tuned v8 is a joke. Lol

If you were going to build a tuff NA you'd be better off starting off with an LT1.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Out of interest Skylarker....
Too true Cuba...
Haja. As in Gooding Jr?
:eek: must have been a typo ;)

Dyslexics of the world untie :p
Yeah, remember those stats on the stickers are achieved with intentionally very frugal driving.
Mine is sitting at at around 13 or 14 from memory. I'll have to check but. 4,000 k's on it now.
Out of curiosity, what sort of driving do you do that returns 13-14 ltrs/100kms?

For the most part, i've been driving like an old lady on the way to church and best i could manage was 14.6 ltrs/100kms which is a long way away from the 12.6 ltrs/100kms on the windscreen sticker.

At a steady 100kph on cruise control, on what looks to be a relatively flat road, she gulps between 8.8 - 12.4 ltrs/100kms, mostly towards the upper end. The best i've managed was going down steep hill @ 0ltrs/100kms but she gulps while going up the other side of the gully.

So i'd say those yellow windscreen stickers come from fancifull land where they must have been testing in a vacuum running down hill with the corresponding uphill section outside the 'test envelope'.

So far i've only done 670kms so she must still be tight and needs some k's under her belt before she can be considered run in and consumption can be correctly gauged. If it sits around 15 with anything other than s l o w takeoffs from lights, i'd be happy.

Oddly, the Kia Stinger i test drove was gulping 15lts/100kms with what can only be described as spirited driving and some hard starts to highlight the launch control. However, i didn't like the way it walked around on it's supsension which is very BMW 320 like and not to my taste. Also the manic take-off associated with the unexpected gear down change (or two) when only pressing the accelerator a little (for what should have been a coresponding small speed increase) just highlights the lack of sorting of the slushbox. I can see a number of Stingers at the damaged vehicle auctions as isuch 'tuning' will catch many by surprise, especially on some bends in the wet.

Contrast this to the feel of the MSE chassis which, in my mind, seems miles ahead in connection to the road providing a solid feel simply lacking in the Stinger.

What mkes it la ess difficult decision is that the comp insurance for a Stinger would have cost me $400 per year more than the MSE. Guess repalcement parts are much more expensive for the Stinger as compared to the MSE o_O

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Sure has got the torque for a fun street car! But comparing a fully built high compression v8 running on alcohol - to a run off the mill, stock as a rock, conservatively tuned v8 is a joke. Lol

If you were going to build a tuff NA you'd be better off starting off with an LT1.
‘Cept price and compatibility and asset turnover / utilisation of existing investment. There is zero advantage to SIDI at this level.

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Mate I don’t know you if you are joking or what but it is what it is, and no, don’t know any manufacturer that produces a flex fuel high comp 14+ CR V8 6+ litre full swing VVT with less than 650 HP.
Could say that about a K20 civic engine that Loeb holds Pikes Peak record too eh?
LOL
Anyways that was a few years ago, learned some points going forward now 16:1, different cam, reversed VVT and revised AFM.
Joking or no, KMA mofo, either put your money where your mouth is go out on a limb and build something special for yourself else (mr fricken jelly tassie nobody bolt of blue who has no idea about ethanol or physics), STFU.
Ahh pir4te you never disappoint , straight into personal insults, good job champ.
Hard to believe you've been banned so many times
How about you post up a dyno sheet ( mainline or dyno dynamics) so we can see what it makes at the wheels.
Any 1/4 mile slips, I think I remember you saying it was a low 11 sec car? .
And I really think you should consider opening a tuning workshop, after all there is no one in Australia making the numbers you claim N/A.
You could show all the TT LS guys at drag challenge a thing or two once you get your new setup going. They might be running high 7s and low 8s but I think your N/A setup, with awesome VVT, is going to be tough to beat

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Ahh pir4te you never disappoint , straight into personal insults, good job champ.
Hard to believe you've been banned so many times
How about you post up a dyno sheet ( mainline or dyno dynamics) so we can see what it makes at the wheels.
Any 1/4 mile slips, I think I remember you saying it was a low 11 sec car? .
And I really think you should consider opening a tuning workshop, after all there is no one in Australia making the numbers you claim N/A.
You could show all the TT LS guys at drag challenge a thing or two once you get your new setup going. They might be running high 7s and low 8s but I think your N/A setup, with awesome VVT, is going to be tough to beat
Isn't he only making 370kw at the wheels?
Its not that impressive considering the 14:1 compression ratio. Like he said its a mild cam which is why power figures aren't up there. Looks to have a well thought out power delivery, but that could easily be achieved without having to completely rebuild an engine, by simply adding boost (and the obvious supporting mods) and you would also gain huge power figures up top.

Take your well engineered NA engine. Apply the same well thought out engineering with a turbo in the mix, and your turbo engine is the clear winner. Efficiency and power at its best (F1 has proved this). And more importantly the ability to completely change power delivery at the press of a botton via boost control.

The black pearl sounds odd at idle, reminds me of my nitro rc i had as a kid. Certainly doesnt have that smooth deep rumble. But sound is subjective i guess.

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
I come on this site only for this thread

I'm confused with all the numbers can somebody tell me how much power MONSTAR's car makes?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
:eek: must have been a typo ;)

Dyslexics of the world untie :p

Out of curiosity, what sort of driving do you do that returns 13-14 ltrs/100kms?

For the most part, i've been driving like an old lady on the way to church and best i could manage was 14.6 ltrs/100kms which is a long way away from the 12.6 ltrs/100kms on the windscreen sticker.

At a steady 100kph on cruise control, on what looks to be a relatively flat road, she gulps between 8.8 - 12.4 ltrs/100kms, mostly towards the upper end. The best i've managed was going down steep hill @ 0ltrs/100kms but she gulps while going up the other side of the gully.

So i'd say those yellow windscreen stickers come from fancifull land where they must have been testing in a vacuum running down hill with the corresponding uphill section outside the 'test envelope'.

So far i've only done 670kms so she must still be tight and needs some k's under her belt before she can be considered run in and consumption can be correctly gauged. If it sits around 15 with anything other than s l o w takeoffs from lights, i'd be happy.

Oddly, the Kia Stinger i test drove was gulping 15lts/100kms with what can only be described as spirited driving and some hard starts to highlight the launch control. However, i didn't like the way it walked around on it's supsension which is very BMW 320 like and not to my taste. Also the manic take-off associated with the unexpected gear down change (or two) when only pressing the accelerator a little (for what should have been a coresponding small speed increase) just highlights the lack of sorting of the slushbox. I can see a number of Stingers at the damaged vehicle auctions as isuch 'tuning' will catch many by surprise, especially on some bends in the wet.

Contrast this to the feel of the MSE chassis which, in my mind, seems miles ahead in connection to the road providing a solid feel simply lacking in the Stinger.

What mkes it la ess difficult decision is that the comp insurance for a Stinger would have cost me $400 per year more than the MSE. Guess repalcement parts are much more expensive for the Stinger as compared to the MSE o_O
Haha. I used Skylarker rather than Skylarking as one describes what who you are, the other describes what you were doing (past tense).
Anyway Skylarking it is!
C
I checked my alltime average last night. 13.2L at avg speed 68kmh. Have travelled 4100k's. Including very spirited trips to Adelaide and Bathurst. So say ~2/3 highway k's. Economy is improving due to the engine loosening up. But worsening due to regional city km's. I reckon it'll settle in the 13.5 - 14.5 range.
Interesting comments on the KIA (Kicked In Arse? :D) Swinger. It's turbo quick. No doubt. But, your comments reflect what I've read and heard elsewhere. The chassis is not that sorted and the auto leaves a lot to be desired (despite claimed only 15% power loss). I'd love to see it do a few laps around say Phillip Island with a MSE.
Re insurance - Simply, it's seen as a higher risk vehicle in terms of accident risk and severity