Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
I come on this site only for this thread

I'm confused with all the numbers can somebody tell me how much power MONSTAR's car makes?

Are you asking with or without the Polarizer ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ahh pir4te you never disappoint , straight into personal insults, good job champ.
Hard to believe you've been banned so many times
How about you post up a dyno sheet ( mainline or dyno dynamics) so we can see what it makes at the wheels.
Any 1/4 mile slips, I think I remember you saying it was a low 11 sec car? .
And I really think you should consider opening a tuning workshop, after all there is no one in Australia making the numbers you claim N/A.
You could show all the TT LS guys at drag challenge a thing or two once you get your new setup going. They might be running high 7s and low 8s but I think your N/A setup, with awesome VVT, is going to be tough to beat
No offence intended. But you're calling someone out, partly for signing up under a new user name it would appear. It's no secret I've quoted Monstar's previous user names myself once or twice.
However, it would appear you also are no new comer to the forum. So, perhaps you might also have the bollocks to stand up and declare your past user names? If I'm mistaken, I am happy to stand corrected.

Last edited:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I’m starting to like this thread again.

I will say something about modern cars and their fuel economy numbers. They must be done on permant downhill runs or behind big trucks reducing the wind resistance. Or maybe it’s my driving style. I can never even get within 10% of said figures

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Geez @monty_vfssv @shaness8 @Pyrex @daz_au what’s with all the posting off-topic about turboland? That turbocharging is more advanced engineering than not?
Apart from the VL with a Nissan donor, turbocharging is an abomination for 99% of Commodore owners. It is out of step with the ethos, ricey video game fantasy with numbers and magic just coz turbo.
You collective bunch of half arsed engineering professors roping me into partial dialogue about my personal car and hanging ****? Shame.
Welcome to comment politely on an interesting quite rare Commodore build based on some real world figures and bespoke engineering in the appropriate build thread. See it’s unusual not because of combo of off-shelf bits but using mainly OEM parts to capitalise properly on the unique fuel properties of ethanol, originally. Is not about HP (slightly better than typical), or et (best 12s on streets), rather usable torque (BMEP) and efficiency (BSFC, ITE).
So yeah happy to discuss and share some knowledge in that regard, I’ve specifically a build thread in progress if you want to learn but there are forum rules about that as well. This seriously this is not the place to vent your jelly over a car build. Last year a mate bought a new limited edition and of course I ribbed him in posting about his fancy purchase, immediate ban for three months.
If you have a technical question post it in the technical section, or a question about my build then politely in the build section. But crapping on about my investment in my personal life be it car, home, jewellery, marital aids, is not for general discussion. Unless I ask for it. Understood?
I started this thread not about 0-100 or 1/4 times SS vs Stinger performance (there’s another epic thread for that already), this is about the Stinger real world reviews versus the SS.
So fair warning, any off-topic half-arsed slagging of my car tooo fast or too slow coz blah blah doesn’t matter you will be reported and noted.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Same goes for my Koolaid, sticker pack, garage queen! :D;)
PS: @monstar I thought this thread was exactly about Swinger V SS performance e.g. 0-100 and 1/4 mile?
I'm a bit over all the techno babble about NA v FI, heat sink, <insert plethora acronyms here> theory too. But, I guess when the thread is comparing an NA pushrod V8, with a turbo V6, it's inevitable.
That said, IMO there are far too many cheap shots, personal remarks and ridicule in this and one or two other threads. A little ribbing is fun. But constantly slamming others for doing something different, or disagreeing with ones own views is plain stupid. <end>
Let's all remember the old glass houses proverb and leave the hypocrisy to the politicians and car companies.
<end>
Re the Judas Priest Turbo Lovers. Of course you can make more power with a turbo, or SC all other things equal. Like the humble pushrod V8, turbo tech has also come a long way in recent years. Turbo's of old were lagging peaky things, prone to early failure. Not the case today. But NA has also advanced. In fact I would posit, that if modern technology such as the factory sourced advanvements made to Monstars car are made to an engine, to increase power and torque to the same levels as adding FI to the same base engine, the NA would be the better choice for 99% of road cars applications.
I too would.like to see dyno results etc for the Black Pearl. Why? Because I'm interested. I think the build should be applauded for taking the road less travelled. Not ridiculed because it is NA. So, I'll be sussing out the build thread. NA V8's, even with less power have many virtues...
Will a Swinger flog and SS? Define flog.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
PS: @monstar I thought this thread was exactly about Swinger V SS performance e.g. 0-100 and 1/4 mile?
I'm a bit over all the techno babble about NA v FI, heat sink, <insert plethora acronyms here> theory too. But, I guess when the thread is comparing an NA pushrod V8, with a turbo V6, it's inevitable.
That said, IMO there are far too many cheap shots, personal remarks and ridicule in this and one or two other threads. A little ribbing is fun. But constantly slamming others for doing something different, or disagreeing with ones own views is plain stupid. <end>
Let's all remember the old glass houses proverb and leave the hypocrisy to the politicians and car companies.
<end>
Re the Judas Priest Turbo Lovers. Of course you can make more power with a turbo, or SC all other things equal. Like the humble pushrod V8, turbo tech has also come a long way in recent years. Turbo's of old were lagging peaky things, prone to early failure. Not the case today. But NA has also advanced. In fact I would posit, that if modern technology such as the factory sourced advanvements made to Monstars car are made to an engine, to increase power and torque to the same levels as adding FI to the same base engine, the NA would be the better choice for 99% of road cars applications.
I too would.like to see dyno results etc for the Black Pearl. Why? Because I'm interested. I think the build should be applauded for taking the road less travelled. Not ridiculed because it is NA. So, I'll be sussing out the build thread. NA V8's, even with less power have many virtues...
I don’t think I am ever going to publish any fricken dyno log apart from the half dozen or so that I have already. Sorry, last time on the rollers spent seven hours with a career expert, I know the game.
But not in this thread here or anywhere other than my build thread. Happy and keen to show actual ECU data and the trend historically over seven years of log and tune, happy to explain the tune elements which influence performance, the calcs for ECU and TCM tuning, resultant charts.
Also explain what the torque model is for our engine (how torque is mechanically produced) and graph the tune aspects which influence it, how the ECU, BCM, ABS and TCM manages that data to two decimal points, because it has to be crucially accurate for human safety and engine protection. That is the reported torque I have come to use via EFIlive.
Some less derp with real world time-coded videos and telemetry, on-screen overlays with real-time OBD and Scantool gauges, and straight-up hooning where appropriate.
C0F59B59-8E5F-437A-9981-F53486A04426.jpeg

In other words I am happy to provide more detail with greater accuracy than the normalised, inaccurate trend line that is supposed to be rear wheel horsepower derived from measured roller torque x a glance at the tacho.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
<end>
No ones ridiculing his car for being a tough NA. I think its more to do with the hype that plays along with it, quoting ridiculous hp figues and woffling on about how its quicker and better than anything on the street.

But as said before, its only human to be defensive of something you've invested heavily in. And credit to him for being so passionate about it all. There's nothing wrong with a bit of debate, and its not personal (its a commodore forum which is what we're talking about after all) wrong thread to do it in? Yeah maybe.

Im also interested in his NA build thread, who wouldn't be? But to claim its the greatest thing on earth? Please, get a grip.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Now that SS is no more, would a KIA Stinger really flog a VXR?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No ones ridiculing his car for being a tough NA. I think its more to do with the hype that plays along with it, quoting ridiculous hp figues and woffling on about how its quicker and better than anything on the street.

But as said before, its only human to be defensive of something you've invested heavily in. And credit to him for being so passionate about it all. There's nothing wrong with a bit of debate, and its not personal (its a commodore forum which is what we're talking about after all) wrong thread to do it in? Yeah maybe.

Im also interested in his NA build thread, who wouldn't be? But to claim its the greatest thing on earth? Please, get a grip.
Can’t bite your tongue for a moment? You come across as trolling making stuff up about outrageous hp claims.. then pisswesk hp claims.. get it straight for a start but FFS stop making out I have a problem. YOU mentioned your R1, and personally never not been caning at least one bike at a time since I was six, know how hairy it is to put power down off the start unless you’re locked and loaded. That a cage can easily get 1s jump, and that is all there is difference when it boils down to it.
Regarding greatest car on earth well maybe for what I do, but what I said specifically was piss on most [legal] cars on the street, true. Subtle but massive difference.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
[off-topic] faith in the rolling road or dynomometer never ceases to amaze me, the other day was explaining to a magistrate how the police car’s speedo was not accurate, to which the prosecution produced a dynomometer certified speedo accuracy check. WTF?!
I asked the usual to check the veracity of the document like where was the rpm coefficient derived, which gear, tyre pressure, etc. Drew a blank, asked whether the police was aware of the accuracy factor, typically 5-10% also drew a blank.
The rollers measure gross torque, not detailed accuracy of the speedo never mind a convoluted theory of compensation to derive engine output in watts or horsepower.