Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ausmac91

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Maloo
I can't see a Holden TTV6 in ZB selling in any greater numbers than the Stinger, which seems to hover around the 200 a month mark. It's hard to know which of the Kia and Holden brands is more palatable to the Australian buying public anymore...side note I know my brother finds it hard to get past the Kia badge, as he would likely a Hyundai badge on Stinger. They really need a Nissan/Infiniti, Hyundai/Genesis, Toyota/Lexus thing going and get that badge off. And it being stuffed in your face on the steering wheel probably wasn't that smart.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I can't see a Holden TTV6 in ZB selling in any greater numbers than the Stinger, which seems to hover around the 200 a month mark. It's hard to know which of the Kia and Holden brands is more palatable to the Australian buying public anymore...side note I know my brother finds it hard to get past the Kia badge, as he would likely a Hyundai badge on Stinger. They really need a Nissan/Infiniti, Hyundai/Genesis, Toyota/Lexus thing going and get that badge off.
It’s a good point; took Lexus 20-odd years to be considered proper luxo, and even now it’s still only about sterile quality rather than passionate luxury or indulgent fun.
Kiayundai kinda started down the Lexus path with the 6cyl Genesis, but it’s obvious they weren’t at all serious about RHD with only having a RHD 6cyl car. And it definitely wasn’t/isn’t the luxury & quality game-changer that the LS400 was. I reckon they’ve got 20+ more years to go before anyone considers them a proper player in that market.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Read in the paper today, Holden are about the 5th biggest selling car in S.A....From memory, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia outsold them....Ford were the next best seller, behind Holden, which is quite surprising considering what they have to offer with the Mustang and the Ranger.

BTW, No need to go brand bashing as a result of my post....And yes it might be slightly off topic too

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
It’s a good point; took Lexus 20-odd years to be considered proper luxo, and even now it’s still only about sterile quality rather than passionate luxury or indulgent fun.
Kiayundai kinda started down the Lexus path with the 6cyl Genesis, but it’s obvious they weren’t at all serious about RHD with only having a RHD 6cyl car. And it definitely wasn’t/isn’t the luxury & quality game-changer that the LS400 was. I reckon they’ve got 20+ more years to go before anyone considers them a proper player in that market.
I think your forecasting future trends based on the past. If they get their **** together, in the segment they want to target, the market will react. Almost immediately.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But it will never happen...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think your forecasting future trends based on the past. If they get their **** together, in the segment they want to target, the market will react. Almost immediately.
I was meaning the Genesis thing, it takes a really long time to be considered an actual luxury brand but that's where all the juicy profit is.
They're already winning at the Ford / Holden level of the market, and the next half-rung up (eg. Toyota, Mazda & Honda) isn't far off - but they do need Genesis (or similar) if they want to be in the Lexus space.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well I've had a few votes to close this thread but just as many others to keep it open. Maybe move the thread to the pub as it's not really that relevant to this section.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Read in the paper today, Holden are about the 5th biggest selling car in S.A....From memory, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia outsold them....Ford were the next best seller, behind Holden, which is quite surprising considering what they have to offer with the Mustang and the Ranger.

BTW, No need to go brand bashing as a result of my post....And yes it might be slightly off topic too
Not surprising re Ford if you look at VFacts...last month Ford only sold about 100 vehicles more than Holden. Take away Ranger & to a lesser extent Mustang (although some may be holding off for the new model) then Ford are hardly sell anything...much lower than Holden in other categories.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not surprising re Ford if you look at VFacts...last month Ford only sold about 100 vehicles more than Holden. Take away Ranger & to a lesser extent Mustang (although some may be holding off for the new model) then Ford are hardly sell anything...much lower than Holden in other categories.

I know the Ranger and the Mustang seem to be their "bread and butter"....Just surprised they didn't outsell Holden especially with the following these 2 models seem to have.