Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will our machines be saved from the electric wave ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Obfuscation...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's just examples of planning issues and differences between states.

But with batteries government's are looking at using them to stabilize the grid which has been talked about same as grid infrastructure.

Im sure SA will make it mandatory for all homes to be grid connected in tge city soon enough to make use of this new tech.

You're just being argumentative so I'll stop responding to your posts here from now.

I have not mentioned anything about whether water tanks or fireplaces are part of planning requirements for you to make assumptions like this....And they are just that...Assumptions on your behalf....So yep, best you not reply because you are making an ass of yourself

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Out of curiosity, what size solar systems are commonly installed in Aussie? Here in NZ I think a 5kw system is a decent size.
My last house was 2850w system (peak generation I saw was 3100). And this house I might go a bit smaller as it runs gas hot water.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No the batteries aren't fed back into the grid.....They are a back up for power....If a solar system is connected to the property (and it's not mandatory for them to be into the system), that is fed into the battery pack
That‘s not true in most cases. Batteries are not for mains backup, they are for dark cloudy days when your solar panels aren’t generating enough for your needs...

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms that a grid connected solar + battery system will go dark if the mains power goes out. You’ll have no lights or telly just like the rest of the area should power go out. It was rationalised as a safety thing as they don’t want such solar systems feeding power back into the main lines at a time when maintenance may be occuring.

In my view, it would be rather simple for the home inverter to have a mains isolation mechanism to stop and feed in when mains drops. And some logic to match the home‘s 240v frequency to the mains frequency when it comes back... None of this is rocket science yet the juice distributors and retailers take the dumb approach because “grid-connected solar power systems must by law shut down if the grid loses power“. See here.

Seems one approach is to wire some loads to the battery via a second isolated system (second inverter?)... In essence it’s like having two systems within the home, the mains connected feed in system and the off grid system for some loads like fridge, etc, with the battery being the common point.. The solar guys I was talking to never explained such as they want the system to be mains connected and they don’t really advocate a battery (at least a couple years ago).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
That‘s not true in most cases. Batteries are not for mains backup, they are for dark cloudy days when your solar panels aren’t generating enough for your needs...

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms that a grid connected solar + battery system will go dark if the mains power goes out. You’ll have no lights or telly just like the rest of the area should power go out. It was rationalised as a safety thing as they don’t want such solar systems feeding power back into the main lines at a time when maintenance may be occuring.

In my view, it would be rather simple for the home inverter to have a mains isolation mechanism to stop and feed in when mains drops. And some logic to match the home‘s 240v frequency to the mains frequency when it comes back... None of this is rocket science yet the juice distributors and retailers take the dumb approach because “grid-connected solar power systems must by law shut down if the grid loses power“. See here.

Seems one approach is to wire some loads to the battery via a second isolated system (second inverter?)... In essence it’s like having two systems within the home, the mains connected feed in system and the off grid system for some loads like fridge, etc, with the battery being the common point.. The solar guys I was talking to never explained such as they want the system to be mains connected and they don’t really advocate a battery (at least a couple years ago).

The Tesla Powerwall 2 has a back-up mode, so it can automatically disconnect from the grid and provide standalone backup power.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

With my last system, I was advised a black out meant my solar system went down too - for the safety of the linesman. (don't want to send power down the lines they are working on.)
UNLESS I GOT A BATTERY, and then it would run off the battery until power came back up which would save me from the black out.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Extract from an AGL publication.
How do solar panels and batteries work together?

There are a number of components that make up a home solar system. First, you have your solar panels, which feed energy into an inverter. The energy then travels through a switchboard where it’s directed to the appliances in your home.

When the sun isn’t shining, the grid steps in to keep your power running. If you’re generating more solar energy than you need, that energy will go back into the grid and you’ll receive a solar feed-in tariff (FiT) as a credit on your bill.

But if you’ve installed a battery solar system, the switchboard directs any excess solar energy you are generating to the battery – charging it up for later use. When the sun goes down or you’re using more energy than your panels produce, your battery’s stored energy will power your appliances. And if your battery is empty, the grid will lend a helping hand.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The Tesla Powerwall 2 has a back-up mode, so it can automatically disconnect from the grid and provide standalone backup power.
With my last system, I was advised a black out meant my solar system went down too - for the safety of the linesman. (don't want to send power down the lines they are working on.)
UNLESS I GOT A BATTERY, and then it would run off the battery until power came back up which would save me from the black out.
What can I say?

Just relaying what I was told a couple of years ago when I specifically asked about battery backed solar and loss of mains... Maybe the systems have improved since then and the interpretation of the law by the electricity companies has mellowed so that sense prevails.

As I’ve said, I’ve always felt a battery backed solar system should indeed be able to isolate itself from the mains when the go down and provide off grid power to the home when such occurs.

Mind you, the whole solar thing still seems to be structured to encourage uptake while keeping electricity companies in control as system sizes are limited if one wants to claim the government rebates. If you want to indeed go off grid, I believe you need a bigger system than what the government allows (w.r.t. accessing the rebate).

I think I’ll revisit this battery backed solar again :cool: