Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will our machines be saved from the electric wave ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You and I and many on this forum live pretty sheltered lives. If you went and interviewed random people on the street I think you'd be surprised how many have paid 4 digits for repairs on their vehicles. It's only a days labour to get your there. The guy you mention sounds like a bit of a high end exception

A mates oil pump died on his VFSS, did a little damage and the engine came out. $2900. Another just had a radiator die and they recommended to do all hoses and the pump, the whole shebang $1200. Your DSG, CVT or auto breaks and is repairable, lucky to come under $3000. Clutch? $2000 easy. Engine blows? Don't even want to know. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it don't happen

Tesla is very much like Apple in they don't want you messing with something that relies on a complex, critical software ecosystem. I get that, liability is a bitch and reputation is important. I used to build my own drones so I could do as I pleased, now I have a DJI and I can't mod a thing on it but it's a pretty amazing device. I used to root and ROM my smartphone but now it's just not worth it or necessary. Google doesn't want me messing with their platform, if I do I lose a bunch a features because they can no longer assure the security of the device. I get that, my work is no different, if an end user messes with something I can't QA or guarantee it. With ICE vehicles it's the same aside they have no control besides voiding warranty

GM have already started showcasing their enthusiast lines, where this will be quite the opposite. They will even be making EV kits for their ICE ranges and word on the street is there will be raspberry pi integration. Mobs like Kelly and ACI already make enthusiast controllers and BMS. It will breed a new era of modders and enthusiasts. I'd love to convert the SS once she's done with this new build a decade or more from now. There's tonnes of vids on YouTube of folk who build their own, using insanely powerful Lynch motors and the like. Naturally nannystralia ADR and regulations will be our brick wall. It's pretty cost prohibitive as well

It will be a very different world order, we still have lots of ICE fun ahead of us though
I wouldn’t mind making my SV6 an EV when the time comes. Ive seen the proposal for EV packages from GM, which looks interesting.

I do think that EVs are really fiddling at the edges though. Governments around the world are all banging on about EVs and forcing ICE vehicles out of the market by 2030-2035 etc but they are only doing this because it’s the pollution source that is highly visible. The background stuff that is a much bigger problem doesn’t really get a look in.

The low hanging fruit below could make a far greater contribution to reducing carbon emissions than EVs and most of it doesn’t require a whole paradigm shift, just a different way of doing things where the consequences down the line are actually thought of instead of the usual “**** it, it’s someone else’s problem”.

1) Stationary electricity generation (coal and gas replaced with renewables and storage)

2) Banning planned obsolescence (where’s the mandates to stop companies forcing people to upgrade things every few years)

3) Reducing the eating of meat (yes it is a major contributor to global warming like the hippies say!)

4) Reversing globalisation (the carbon emissions to make something in China and ship it half way around the world exceeds what would be emitted if more things were produced locally again)

5) Designing products to make the parts that wear out (and only the part that wears out) easily replaceable instead of having to replace a whole subassembly or junk the item altogether.

6) Not chopping down trees at a greater rate than they are growing (the Amazon Rainforest will cease to be a rainforest soon because so much of it is being chopped down it’s reducing the rainfall required to support the remaining forest).

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Because every time you start your wagon you are increasing the carbon footprint of your wagon (think about what is coming out of the tail pipe).

Well derr.
But it's not like a fountain of Co2 is comming out ffs. It's a small amount but how much carbon is being released with the creation of a EV.... Heaps more than a few tanks of fuel.
Plus carbon really isn't the bad one it's methane and oxides of nitrogen.

This whole attack on carbon is a scam.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So how much carbon and chemicals does it take to recycle a Li pack?

You fail to take into account the fact that E cars will require replacement more frequently than ICE cars of the 70's and 80's the current ICE cars are just as bad as E cars.

I drive (when I'm licenced) a 96 triton 2wd alloy tray run around with a carby. I'll drive that as my run around shitter for another 20 years. How can you claim that has a higher carbon footprint when you have no idea how many kiliometers I do?

You're just arguing for the sake of it and this helps no one. It's quite self indulgent of you actually are you sure you're not a narcissist?

You can't state any of that with any kind of surety. But you choose to anyway. Some basic research would suggest that's not at all the case. All emerging techs improve over time anyway

What you can say with surety is that any eco box will burn in the realms of 25-30,000 litres of fuel in its useable lifetime, that's one single car like a corolla. Others will push 50-75,000. Now factor in what people drive and that fuel is not only pillaged from the earth by disastrous means, refined by even worse processes than its extraction, it goes up into the sky afterwards and can never be reused. You do the maths on those noxious gases. Try to prove 9000 21700 cells even come close to that.... You can't, not even replaced 4 or 5 times

Hahaha that's a big, ironic word for you Shane. I was an EV hater just like you once but I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong, when I've been duped, when my opinions need adjustment and my research and objective truth seeking needs polishing. Cognitive bias is a daily battle for everyone. You should try it one day or better yet educate yourself in a less personable way. Being wrong isn't a slight on your character, it's human. Failing to recognise or do anything about it is. Just because something feels a certain way in your head doesn't make it true. You have to put hard yards in. This is why idiots think the world is flat, cause it seems that way to their senses

The CO2 comment? Seriously? In another thread you called yourself a dumb arse and I nearly argued against that. After that sentence I'm not sure even dumb arse cuts it

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well derr.
But it's not like a fountain of Co2 is comming out ffs. It's a small amount but how much carbon is being released with the creation of a EV.... Heaps more than a few tanks of fuel.

How much carbon was used to create your car to begin with? That argument stands for both ICE and EV type vehicles. OR was your wagon created with fairy dust like those magical tesla battery packs you mentioned earlier?

What about the carbon used to extract the fuel going into your fuel tank before you turn it into waste coming out of the tail pipe?

Once again, open your eyes to the full facts.

edit: I'll happily admit I'm not a fan of EV's but can't ignore the tech behind it and what the likes of Tesla can do with said tech. I also fully agree that the greenies completely ignore the pollution factor involved in the production of the power packs for these vehicles but you can't ignore the fact that producing ICE vehicles also involves plenty of pollution. I'm also fairly sure that manufacturing techniques and battery efficiencies will improve.

Fact is, ICE is old tech and it will be succeeded. Most people think I'm a dinosaur because I still like old school V8's and I'm happy with that but that does not take away from the fact that we as a species need to improve how we look after our environment and part of that is moving with the times.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You can't state any of that with any kind of surety. But you choose to anyway. Some basic research would suggest that's not at all the case. All emerging techs improve over time anyway

What you can say with surety is that any eco box will burn in the realms of 25-30,000 litres of fuel in its useable lifetime, that's one single car like a corolla. Others will push 50-75,000. Now factor in what people drive and that fuel is not only pillaged from the earth by disastrous means, it goes up into the sky afterwards and can never be reused. You do the maths on those noxious gases. Try to prove 9000 21700 cells even come close to that.... You can't

Hahaha that's a big, ironic word for you Shane. I was an EV hater just like you once but I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong, when I've been duped, when my opinions need adjustment and my research and objective truth seeking needs polishing. Cognitive bias is a daily battle for everyone. You should try it one day or better yet educate yourself in a less personable way. Being wrong isn't a slight on your character, it's human. Failing to recognise or do anything about it is

I actually love EV's but my kind of EV is a big old Siemens DC motor bolted to T56 and a full spool 9". I've never had the money to build that.
But my RC boats used to hammer.

But there is plenty of issues with current EV tech.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Of course there is. It hasn't had the better part of a century to evolve. We're not taking about that though, you're trying to say ICE is better or the same for the environment. That's complete big fossil brainwashing bullsh!t

Meh, Lynch axial flux motors on the rears and ditch the box and diff for me. Raspberry pi on a Kelly to tune it in

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Of course there is. It hasn't had the better part of a century to evolve. We're not taking about that though, you're trying to say ICE is better or the same for the environment. That's complete big fossil brainwashing bullsh!t

Meh, Lynch axial flux motors on the rears and ditch the box and diff for me. Raspberry pi on a Kelly to tune it in

Exactly, a drive motor on each wheel and the driveline losses are gone, that's a 20%+ efficiency gain right there!

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Well derr.

There is probably more CO2 being emitted than most people realise. 1 lt of petrol will produce 2.3 kg (note kilograms not litres!).

So, each time you fill up with 50 lts of petrol, that equates to 115 kg of CO2 emitted in to the atmosphere - and that doesn’t include the CO2 emitted due to the production or transportation of that fuel.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There is probably more CO2 being emitted than most people realise. 1 lt of petrol will produce 2.3 kg (note kilograms not litres!).

So, each time you fill up with 50 lts of petrol, that equates to 115 kg of CO2 emitted in to the atmosphere - and that doesn’t include the CO2 emitted due to the production or transportation of that fuel.

Lolololololololololol

Just look at what you posted.

Fuel is lighter than water so 1lt of fuel is less than 1kg so how does it break the laws of physics and turn into 2.3kg?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Exactly, a drive motor on each wheel and the driveline losses are gone, that's a 20%+ efficiency gain right there!

Meh stuff losses I want power.