Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will our machines be saved from the electric wave ?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Solving them isn't the issue. Execution is. I have no doubt the earth will go on but a future for the human race isn't a far reach nor unreasonable

Absolutely! We don’t actually need to solve problems such as climate change, the pandemic, pollution, (or any other problem)... as they will all ultimately resolve themselves one way or another. It’s just whether the natural solution is advantageous to humankind or not. It’s Darwin‘s theory of natural selection at work. The universe will still go on. We just have to decide if we prefer to actively implement a solution that isn’t disadvantageous to humankind.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You have the recipe for unlimited power from ICE? Please share.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
He had quite a few electronic components break outside of warranty. Thing is Tesla are just like Apple and rip you off within their ecosystem and put as many walls up to prevent you going outside their ecosystem as possible.

The thing that amazed me though is that he was saying the repair costs weren’t that bad compared to an ICE vehicle. None of his repair costs were under 4 digits and there was about half a dozen of them.

I dont think I’ve had even one four digit repair cost in all my years of ICE ownership (26 years). A big part of that of course is being able to do my own work on my own cars and being able to use aftermarket parts.

This will change substantially with EV cars as Im quite sure you will be banned from working on them yourself either by the authorities or by the manufacturer bricking the vehicle. This can already be seen in the US where Rich Rebuilds had his fast charging capability removed from his Tesla because he rebuilt it himself.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Great highlight of the right to repair and importance of legislation and regulation. Also that insurance is totally on the driver, no matter who stuffs up the end user always wears it

Certainly doesn't detract from the tech, that was an awesome fix

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great highlight of the right to repair and importance of legislation and regulation. Also that insurance is totally on the driver, no matter who stuffs up the end user always wears it

Certainly doesn't detract from the tech, that was an awesome fix
Its always important to have independent repairers for things. At least they will use more economical methods of repair than the manufacturer who will only ever look to maximise their profits.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I think because manufacturing is so modular from multiple sources, it's hard to get them to see past the modules. I'm struggling right now with a lock actuator rod clip. Holden will sell me the whole lock and actuator unit but the clip solo is too hard apparently. Not for eBay, I just ordered a mixed kit of every type and size for $10

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think because manufacturing is so modular from multiple sources, it's hard to get them to see past the modules. I'm struggling right now with a lock actuator rod clip. Holden will sell me the whole lock and actuator unit but the clip solo is too hard apparently. Not for eBay, I just ordered a mixed kit of every type and size for $10

We would sell an actuator instead of a clip at work. There is two reasons, first the mark up is higher second the turnover is higher so even if GP is low your gross figures still look better to management.

If I was running my own business I would buy the clips and fix that actuator. When I was running my own business I had always been told you can't repair to reg in LS1 alternators but when a friend supplied me one to change I pulled the old one apart and found a reg on Ebay. You just need a big slodering iron to de solder it.

the vz sandyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE manual Commodore ute
Battery powered trucks simply will not compeate with diesel. For the batteries to be commercially viable they need to have a massive leap forward in power density I believe it's in the near impossible range.
At current battery technology levels the batteries take up about 30% of payload weight which can't be commercially viable.

Your a smart man, tell me do you ever see ships being powered by batteries..... The same reasons are why trucks will continue to use diesel. Just because some companies virtue signal with pipe dreams doesnt mean physics will ever change.

The technology that will likely power trucks in the future is hydrogen fuel cell.
I still don't even understand why people froth at the jaw over battery powered vehicles as they actually are more hazardous to the enviroment then cars. This is because to manufacture the batteries in the first place makes a lot of carbon and dangerous chemicals.
The amount of KW hours used per day to power transport we would need to cut forrests down to make solar farms to power these battery cars without coal.

The answer is nuclear power and hydrogen fuel cell cars. All the other pipe dreams are just that. Look at what Toyota and Mazda are doing they're the real leaders not Elon with his rich person mobiles.
hell yeah!, nuclear cars, honestly though i bank on the idea that hydrogen will become more popular than electric for the only reason being you can have ice engines as hydrogen which would be smart and even toyota's testing a variant to run in the corolla's.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
hell yeah!, nuclear cars, honestly though i bank on the idea that hydrogen will become more popular than electric for the only reason being you can have ice engines as hydrogen which would be smart and even toyota's testing a variant to run in the corolla's.
The problem with using hydrogen in ICE vehicles is the low energy density of hydrogen. The most logical use of hydrogen is in a fuel cell as a fuel cell has about 80% efficiency so you get more range for the same amount of hydrogen. An ICE vehicle using hydrogen would probably have about half the range of a similar petrol powered vehicle so most people probably wouldn’t buy it.