Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will replacing my cat change the sound of my exhaust?

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Hey guys and girls.
Used the search function and couldn't seem to find any answers to my question!
Anyways, recently I have noticed a knocking/rattling sound coming from underneath my car from the exhaust pipe, specifically right near the cat. I checked all the bolts etc, and they were tight. I took it to the local exhaust shop and he said from the sound of it he would say my cat is on the way out.
Now, at the moment I am extremely happy with my exhaust setup and got it to the point where I think it sounds just right, not too loud and not too droney like a typical 6 cylinder exhaust. The exhaust setup has a stock cat on it at the moment and I was thinking of changing it to a hi-flo cat whilst I am replacing it.
Now, I am not too familiar with catalytic convertors and just had a few questions I hope you guys could clear up.
My main question being, will a cat change alter or affect my current exhaust setup in terms of sound? As I am happy with how it sounds and would prefer it to stay that way.
Lastly, if I do decided to change it to hi-flo what brands would you recommend to compliment my exhaust setup on an ecotec?
Cheers,
tim005

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
If you go to a high flow cat, it most likely will make it louder. No info on brand names.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
A high flow cat will often give a deeper, sportier growl - much like putting on extractors (but to a smaller extent)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I put a high flow on mine when the factory cat gave out, was a little deeper and growlier and seemed to reduce the drone a little.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
So far this advice sounds good, can't hurt to give the exhaust more of a growl.
Anyone have any adviced with brands and a reasonable drive in drive out price?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Firstly, a catalytic converter converts hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide present in exhaust gases into carbon dioxide, nitrogen, water and heat.

I've had 4 different cats on my ute throughout the time I've owned it. Stock 2.5'', Gutted stock 2.5'', high flow 200cpi 2.5'' and lastly, and the one installed at the moment high flow bullet 100cpi 2.5''.

Stock did really well for sound quality and flow until a spark plug insulator cracked causing the engine to miss under load which clogged and destroyed the honeycomb. I then gutted the stock one while waiting for the high flow 200cpi cat to arrive. It did awesome for sound quality and flow but is just a defect waiting to happen and really a stupid idea. High flow 200cpi I had no issues with at all, great sound quality again, gave a strong deep note but with minor drone. It ended destroying itself as when I popped head gaskets, as the engine was only running on two cylinders. Totally stuffed the honeycomb filter. The current cat now, the high flow bullet 100cpi is the best cat I've ever had. Period. Look at my signature link and listen to the engine note video, it speaks for itself.

But in hindsight, the cat convertor is just one part of the exhaust system as every exhaust system will sound different. Engine reliability and modifications will affect the sound quality.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and I purchased my high flow bullet 100cpi cat for Performance Exhausts in Victoria. Only cost about $250 delivered.

Good luck!

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Firstly, a catalytic converter converts hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen and carbon monoxide present in exhaust gases into carbon dioxide, nitrogen, water and heat.

I've had 4 different cats on my ute throughout the time I've owned it. Stock 2.5'', Gutted stock 2.5'', high flow 200cpi 2.5'' and lastly, and the one installed at the moment high flow bullet 100cpi 2.5''.

Stock did really well for sound quality and flow until a spark plug insulator cracked causing the engine to miss under load which clogged and destroyed the honeycomb. I then gutted the stock one while waiting for the high flow 200cpi cat to arrive. It did awesome for sound quality and flow but is just a defect waiting to happen and really a stupid idea. High flow 200cpi I had no issues with at all, great sound quality again, gave a strong deep note but with minor drone. It ended destroying itself as when I popped head gaskets, as the engine was only running on two cylinders. Totally stuffed the honeycomb filter. The current cat now, the high flow bullet 100cpi is the best cat I've ever had. Period. Look at my signature link and listen to the engine note video, it speaks for itself.

But in hindsight, the cat convertor is just one part of the exhaust system as every exhaust system will sound different. Engine reliability and modifications will affect the sound quality.

Oh and I purchased my high flow bullet 100cpi cat for Performance Exhausts in Victoria. Only cost about $250 delivered.

Good luck!

Cheers mate, really appreciate your advice. I'll be sure to raise these options with the exhaust shop when I take it in for a change over.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, really appreciate your advice. I'll be sure to raise these options with the exhaust shop when I take it in for a change over.

No worries buddy, here to help. =) Let me know what you decide on.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Hey guys and girls.
Used the search function and couldn't seem to find any answers to my question!
Anyways, recently I have noticed a knocking/rattling sound coming from underneath my car from the exhaust pipe, specifically right near the cat. I checked all the bolts etc, and they were tight. I took it to the local exhaust shop and he said from the sound of it he would say my cat is on the way out.
Now, at the moment I am extremely happy with my exhaust setup and got it to the point where I think it sounds just right, not too loud and not too droney like a typical 6 cylinder exhaust. The exhaust setup has a stock cat on it at the moment and I was thinking of changing it to a hi-flo cat whilst I am replacing it.
Now, I am not too familiar with catalytic convertors and just had a few questions I hope you guys could clear up.
My main question being, will a cat change alter or affect my current exhaust setup in terms of sound? As I am happy with how it sounds and would prefer it to stay that way.
Lastly, if I do decided to change it to hi-flo what brands would you recommend to compliment my exhaust setup on an ecotec?
Cheers,
tim005

Try this on for size & sound -> VP-S 200 Cell Outlaw Hi Flow Bullet Cat Converter is essential for all the extra flow I have created = beautiful all round :)
attachment.php