Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will replacing my cat change the sound of my exhaust?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Its hard not to, conversions naturally evolve into different subjects.

Sorry Tim, hope you are satisfied with the answers to you question coz we own thread thread haha

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Its hard not to, conversions naturally evolve into different subjects.

Sorry Tim, hope you are satisfied with the answers to you question coz we own thread thread haha

Jonah, you did it again.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Did you boys enjoy your mothers club?
I joke, i joke...
All is forgiven, the hiflo cat is on and i am happy!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To answer a previous question, there is not one single 100 cpsi high flow cat that is legal in Australia. 200 cell is the highest flowing legal cat available.

Tim, if the new high flow cat didn't change the note that much, then was it really a high flow? Even a ceramic high flow will make the exhaust noticeably louder. You can tell the difference quite easily between exhausts with and without a high flow. For the price of $220 fitted, I would say it was either a ceramic high flow which I wouldn't recommend, as they are ceramic and will suffer the same fate eventually as the stock cat. Or it was just a universal cat. A metallic high flow starts at around $200 just for the cat, then add labour and you will be around the $300 fitted mark. Most exhaust shops charge $300 just for a metallic high flow.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
To answer a previous question, there is not one single 100 cpsi high flow cat that is legal in Australia. 200 cell is the highest flowing legal cat available.

Tim, if the new high flow cat didn't change the note that much, then was it really a high flow? Even a ceramic high flow will make the exhaust noticeably louder. You can tell the difference quite easily between exhausts with and without a high flow. For the price of $220 fitted, I would say it was either a ceramic high flow which I wouldn't recommend, as they are ceramic and will suffer the same fate eventually as the stock cat. Or it was just a universal cat. A metallic high flow starts at around $200 just for the cat, then add labour and you will be around the $300 fitted mark. Most exhaust shops charge $300 just for a metallic high flow.

Thanks for the feedback mate. As I said on the last page, I noticed the exhaust to get a bit louder and cracklier, but not to the point where it changed the note noticeably itself, if that makes sense?
The cat itself cost me $200, but he didn't charge me much for labour as I have taken my car there a few times and he is also my best mates mechanic.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride

What makes it illegal? Just curious.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What makes it illegal? Just curious.

Not being able to pass an emissions test. A 100 cell cat flows too much and doesn't have enough prescious metal content to be effective in converting the harmful gases.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not being able to pass an emissions test. A 100 cell cat flows too much and doesn't have enough prescious metal content to be effective in converting the harmful gases.

Mmmm.... I'll read into that. Thanks for the reply!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
sidetracking a little.

so 200cell Metallic High Flow will be completely legal?
and will it be much louder then a standard cat. or how much quieter then a 100 cell will it be?

EDIT:
answer from reputable source.
some 200 cells will be, some wont be.

Last edited:

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Nope..

Only cat you can guarantee to be completely legal is the ones that came on your car..