Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will rockers affect reliability?

wildwilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6
hey there. ive got a vr v6 with buick engine with 140ks on it. im thinking of getting the 1.9 rockers. how will these affect the reliabilty and life of the engine? and is everything included in the kit? do springs need changing? will the valvo covers need spacing? and are there any other mods i should do first? the reliabilty of the engine is my top priority. thanks
Will

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Will,

Thanks for your inquiry

In regards to your questions/statements

"hey there. ive got a vr v6 with buick engine with 140ks on it. im thinking of getting the 1.9 rockers. how will these affect the reliabilty and life of the engine?"
In rare cases they may be harder on the chain tensioned, causing a rattle in the chain when the engine is coming down from revs. This aside none that I'm aware of

"and is everything included in the kit?"
Yes

"do springs need changing?"
No

"will the valvo covers need spacing?"
No

"and are there any other mods i should do first?"
Other mods to consider would be a larger throttle body or a cold air intake kit

"the reliabilty of the engine is my top priority. thanks"
Completely understandable

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

wildwilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6
thanks for the reply Steve.
Did you mean the chain tensioner? not tensioned? I've heard that the tensioner is weak and snapping is common, so do these rockers put more stress on this particular part? Thus reducing the reliability?
I have gone ahead and ordered some which I've opened today and I have some concerns. Firstly there was quite a bit of rust on the push rods. Second the oil on the actual rockers has become quite sticky and gummed up the bearings, and also there seems to be quite a bit of play in the bearings themselves. I was also expecting there to be a roller on the tip of the rocker but unfortunately there is not. I'm now having second thoughts about fitting these.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi wildwilly

"Did you mean the chain tensioner? not tensioned? I've heard that the tensioner is weak and snapping is common, so do these rockers put more stress on this particular part? Thus reducing the reliability?"
Correct, we consider one the chain tensioner to be one of the weak points of the V6 engines. The plastic friction surface tends to harden with age and fail allowing the chain to rattle somewhat, however the chain snapping isn't a common occurrence. To be honest, the slight increase in spring pressures seen (because the spring is compressed more) is negligible.

"I have gone ahead and ordered some which I've opened today and I have some concerns. Firstly there was quite a bit of rust on the push rods. Second the oil on the actual rockers has become quite sticky and gummed up the bearings, and also there seems to be quite a bit of play in the bearings themselves. I was also expecting there to be a roller on the tip of the rocker but unfortunately there is not. I'm now having second thoughts about fitting these."
There should be some size ways movement in the bearings as they have needle rollers. This is completely normal. The oil coating is a any rust coating and does become quiet sticky. It should wipe off with some solvents, we also recommend that you put some engine oil into the rocker bearing before fitting. The anti rust coating won't effect the engine.

Our high ratio rockers aren't roller tipped rockers, these rockers are in fact what is used on the LS series engines.

I'm disappointed to hear about the rust on the push rods, they are manufactured for us by a well know company. You can either clean the rust of with some oil and a scotch brite pad or we can replace the push rods. All our products come with a money back guarantee so please let us know what you would like to do.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart