Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will speaker spacers work with 6x8?

Richie97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Hi everyone,

i know the general idea of rear door speakers are either 6 or 6.5 but i've just been given a set of alpine 6x8 speakers and i'm hoping i can use them for my rear doors (original stock speakers are still in). Whole reason is im trying to achieve more volume and if i can do that with these over buying new speakers again.

My question is, has anyone run 6x8's in the door using a MDF spacer? i don't think fitment will be an issue in the door itself. I've read the cutout in the door frame is close to 6.75" but im not 100% on that. I'm thinking a 12 or 18mm spacer would bring it far enough forward to clear everything. My main concern is will the door card fit back over?

If the rear doors aren't plausible, would it make more sense to swap out the 6x9's for the 6x8's instead? Ive been told 6x9's are more of an alternative to having no subs, is their much point in keeping them if their main purpose is mid bass? The 6x8s are of somewhat higher quality than my Pioneer 6x9's too.
i've got decent components up front, and 2 subs obviously all running off amps if thats any help. I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference but would like to get some idea what direction to go based of other peoples experiences
Cheers

Last edited: