Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will the box be OK?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
as most of you know i'm doing all sorts of mods. my next one (God Willing) will be the gearbox conversion. i have a doubt as to whether the box i have will handle the power. its an rb20det box. i'm pretty confident it will be ok on my NA 6cyl but will it handle the power when i put the turbo motor in (eventually)?

should i just sell the box and save a bit more and source a rb30et or rb25det box?

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i thought i remember sum1 sayin that the rb20 box is very similar to the rb25 box ..... either that or they said its crap lol. i dont really remember now ...

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
lol. thanx daz. i hope it wasn't the latter.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
the rb20 box is similar to the non turbo rb30 box.

it should be right, for a while at least. definately factor in an upgrade for an r33 box.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
just clearing some thing up hear

-rb20 (r33?) box is simular to na vl 5spd
-rb25 (r32?) is same ratio as the na vl 5spd but strength of the turbo box and has twin sincromesh
-rb26 (r33?) best box of them all?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
hey bax i know the gear ratios are the same between those 2 boxes but is the rb20det box stronger?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
VL Berlina 5speed said:
just clearing some thing up hear

-rb20 (r32) box is simular to na vl 5spd
-rb25 (r33) is same ratio as the na vl 5spd but strength of the turbo box and has twin sincromesh
-rb26 (r33) best box of them all?

just changed those two first ones, i've also heard that the rb26 box is just the r33 box with a transfer case added.

bangers im going to have a look but im fairly sure they were the same, if your after decent power then i'd go the 33 box, you can get one setup for around 2k, definately nowhere near as cheap as the 32 box at around 400 dollars. But you get what you pay for.

As far as I know they just had twin syncro's or something extra, not sure. Google search?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
please have a look bax, thanx. I've done a fair bit of enquiring but a lot is hearsay. and nissan know **** all.

Goodloox_Nogutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Bax said:
the rb20 box is similar to the non turbo rb30 box.

it should be right, for a while at least. definately factor in an upgrade for an r33 box.
bax is on the money

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
bangers I can't find any information about the box - I can tell you all you want to know about the mf5 and the mx7, but to be honest I don't even know the codes for the r33det box, apparently the rb20det and the rb25de boxes are the same.

keep in mind its torque that kills gearboxes. the reason why the rb20det box may last is exactly that, because its only an rb20det, lots of power but not as much torque, bolt it to your rb30 and she may rip it to shreds.

having said that though, it has been done and people have nursed them - but with your engine, and i doubt you'll want to nurse it. definately upgrade to a 33 box... 1200-1800 for the box, 400 for a decent clutch, 30 dollars for the speedo converter. install, pedal box, slave cylinder and your in business.