Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will the standard 304 cam work with a carby

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
im getting pretty close to fitting vn heads to my 308 thats in an old 4x4 surf
Iv got most things lined up for the swap over (heads, exhausts manifolds)
still hunting for a low cost intake and cam.

my question bieng the title, can I get away with using the standard 304 cam in the 308 block?
trying my best to keep costs low as its just an off road fun wagon
Have a mate that can get me a factory cam ground at low cost and they are freely available if it would only work with modification

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes it's fine.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
thanks mate that should get me running a bit sooner

regarding intake manifolds that fit the VN heads is there a cheap ones that can be sourced
hoping to keep the costs down but the one with the lowest price so far is still north of $800

Its the last piece of the puzzle for me but also the most expensive and expensive isnt the name of the game with this swap

H

harrop.senator

Aftermarket towing cams are only $300 and should be fine with stock springs if they've not gone soft as . Maybe an option too.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
Iv got a factory one lined up for $30 which for the moment suits my sort of angle at the moment
I have a house reno thats keeping my play money to a bare minimum so Im trying to keep it very budget at the moment
Ill look at adding a better cam or grind to this one at a later stage when I know what will suit the rest of the bits I cobble together

H

harrop.senator

All good definitely throw it in stock. How you worded it thought you were definitely getting it ground.

It's usually $15 a lobe to grind so $240 and then if its had a bit off it you either order longer pushrods or mill heads same amount for a little extra comp and correct pushrod length.

So was just thinking keep the lobe circle same can reuse pushrods and have correct lifter pre load the same.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
yeah that all sounds brilliant, Iv got the heads sitting beside me and rather than putting them on the shelf for the next 12 months now that Iv given them a degrease and clean up I want to just get cracking and assemble the

With a factory 308 block, and these VN heads fitted, what sort of compression ratio am I looking at?
Is it worth planeing the heads to improve this?
Im happy to be relatively low compression ratio realisticly as it will probably forever be the thing that old gas gets tipped into

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just use a banana manifold. If you want it to flow a little more get a flex hone and chuck it up in a drill and hone the inside.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
is there a simple way to use the banana manifold with a carb?

My carb is a Rochester quadrajet

H

harrop.senator

Nelg's Ali mods mills the bananas off and creates plenums to fit twin throttle body , 4150 carbs or quad dfi throttle bodies. It's around $500 he's in Perth may be able to get it done cheaper if you know someone who welds aluminium.