Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will the standard 304 cam work with a carby

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
what would be the effect of running a 90degree bend where the throttle body is and fitting the carb there with full length banana runners?

I still have to source a intake either way but theres plenty of factory ones around for not many $$

H

harrop.senator

I think you'd have some issues with fuel distribution and pooling man. I've not tried but carburettors are always centre fed no matter the motor and I'd say it's for a reason.

I don't think it'd be to hard fitting the fuel injection system as you'd just have to power the ecu , connect the tacho signal between ecu and dash and relay the fuel system.

The fuel system may be tricky depending the size of the lines and if it was a return less carburettor system in the beginning.

From memory the intake manifolds for carbs start at $500 and then most times you'll need to rebuild any carb you've got.

It may be cheaper to run it injected in the long run and the banana manifold is a stump puller. Be good for a 4wd.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
Im pretty set on staying with carbs
shes running strong at the moment in 308 form and im just after the more flow and future proofing of the 304 heads
i have found all the bits I need bar the intake for carb set up

I live rurally and this is a Hack so tuning is non existent round here out side of "that sounds about right" so carbs really appeal for simplicity

I have heard of cheep Chinese harrop/torque power/edelbrock imitation intakes but I haven't been able to find them outside the forum reference
are they something that is still around these days?

H

harrop.senator

At racing world / speed master in Sydney. I think it's around the $500 mark.

Ace performance does mail order tunes for EFI I've had pretty good results with for $350 from memory.

Have even ran them with single plain intakes , stroked , compression n a cam.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
To use VN heads you will need the correct headers to suit due to the different port arrangement.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on trademe, occasionally a cheapy 304 manifold will turn up.

At racing world / speed master in Sydney. I think it's around the $500 mark.

Ace performance does mail order tunes for EFI I've had pretty good results with for $350 from memory.

Have even ran them with single plain intakes , stroked , compression n a cam.

The user is based in NZ if his profile is correct so listing AU prices aren't completely realistic.

H

harrop.senator

To use VN heads you will need the correct headers to suit due to the different port arrangement.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on trademe, occasionally a cheapy 304 manifold will turn up.

The user is based in NZ if his profile is correct so listing AU prices aren't completely realistic.

Aghh yep , didn't bother checking.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
With old red dished top pistons & vn heads compression be perfect for 6/71 blower or turbo.

If you have all the injection gear with the motor just go with that...will run better than try to tune mismatched combo of junk parts.
Easiest to setup using vn/vp loom/ecu/dissy/manifold etc

ACE Performance in oz or Delcowizzard on your side of the pond can do the tune.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
With old red dished top pistons & vn heads compression be perfect for 6/71 blower or turbo.

If you have all the injection gear with the motor just go with that...will run better than try to tune mismatched combo of junk parts.
Easiest to setup using vn/vp loom/ecu/dissy/manifold etc

ACE Performance in oz or Delcowizzard on your side of the pond can do the tune.

I like how you are thinking is there a good head gasket for forced induction I should be choosing to prepare for that sort of thing

I'm very tempted on a reverse cast manifold draw thru turbo set up to be able to make use of the factory banana manifold but I'm the type that doesn't finish things so I don't want to bite off too much and have a unfinished engine

I'm nz based so I'll see what pops up, if I can get a injection set up I'll definitely pursue that avenue but I'm an intake manifold short of completing what I set out to do so I think il stick the course with a 304/308 hybrid carb motor

H

harrop.senator

Why would you draw through with a fuel injected manifold. No intercooler and drag on a carbon seal so slower spooling turbo before the fact the fuels slowing the wheel down.

Draw through should only be used on cars it costs thousands and engineering to make tunable EFI. Only then if you're willing for it to be laggy and have bad fuelling spots anything other then WOT.

Bill999

Reaction score
Members Ride
87surf 308 red motor
It was purely to use the low cost standard manifold a dirty big diesel turbo with a retarded dream of easy turbo power
I'm looking to keep it simple Simon carb extractors so the spendy manifold seems like the price I have to pay to get what I'm after