Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will this blow my speakers?

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
hey guys,
i have a pair of pioneer 6x9 40 rms that i want to hook up to a pca4.400 amp which pumps out 60 rms @ 4 ohms. Would this blow my speakers? i also have a pair of pioneer 6x6s 50 rms in the front, would i be better hooking up to them because the rms values are closer. or is that worse because they are only 6x6s?? A friend of mine said the 6x9s would be fine but i want a second opinion
thanks

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Not sure on the amp but if its 2 channel use the 6inch up fronts, if 4 channel connected the 6x9 as well set the frequency/gain accordingly for the lower spec speaker (if you can)

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
yeh its a four channel but i already have two channels hooked up to a sub, so better of hooking the 6x6s up before the 6x9s?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
if you connect em and set the gain and filters correctly you wont blow them

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
The power difference is fine, if your speakers are 40wRMS per channel, 60wRMS per channel in will be fine. Overpowering speakers is a hell of a lot safer than underpowering, just make sure you never do that :p

As Kinkbike_rider said, 6x9 speakers are generally used where you don't have dedicated low frequency channels. Since you have a sub, you would be fine with the 6" speakers without the 6x9"s.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Yea like everyone is saying, itd be more preferable to amp the fronts, as that's where you are going to be sitting. If you really want to amp the 6x9s, set you high pass filter to around 100-120Hz, your sub will take care of the frequencies below it.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
As has been said ^, more amp power than you need is never a problem, just refrain from turning up the volume too far. A lower power amp wont suddenly stop powering the speakers when you turn up the volume, it will keep getting louder too, but with damaging high frequency signals that will burn out your high frequency units without you even knowing it.

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
ok thanks guys, i recon i'll keep the 6x9s though, i dont want it to sound like all my sound is coming from the front of the car, keeping the 6x9s gives it that surrond sound feel

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
ok thanks guys, i recon i'll keep the 6x9s though, i dont want it to sound like all my sound is coming from the front of the car, keeping the 6x9s gives it that surrond sound feel

ive had the same sony hd for a few years now connecte to 4 x 6x5s and 2 x 6x9 with twin woofer and 2 amps, it go's hard and its still going hard.. i even got a spare hd unit ive never had to use.... just tune the speakers in correctly depending on your setup and youll be right.. my 5th and 6 speaker dont kick in until i crank it up 16 i think.. all cost 400 bucks.. if u read the manuals and do some research on other pages in this forum section you'll get something mad happening bro... i wouldnt know if mines under or over powerd, still go's hard and hasnt stopped yet.. thumps the ground on the lowest bass setting :yeah: dont bother using speakers for just bass, leave that to the woofers..

ps. next im adding another 2 smaller ones in the dash :D