Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will this set-up work??

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hey everyone, basically i want to get a new set up for my VY...

It consists of the standard head deck, which i want to keep

Front - Alpine 6.5 Component Type-R at 4 Ohms, 110W RMS
Back - Alpine 6.5 Type-R at 4 Ohms, 100W RMS

Amp - Jaycar Response Precision which can hold 4 Ohms, 14.4V, 110 RMS with 4 outputs.

Would you do anything different in this price range? Would this amp be good enough to not burn out or anything, or should i look for an amp with a higher RMS rating?

Cheers

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
hi, it comes down to how much you want to spend, I would change the fronts over for splits , but if you want to get more power out of your speakers they need to be able to hold the amp output , are the speakers in all 4 doors , you better off having 6x9 in ya parcel shelf or 7x10 kenwood . and I be going for a pioneer or Kenwood or alpine amp in the long run you be more happier .

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
If its 110rms x 4 it will be fine.
I would look at a set of morels for your front components.

back speakers are for back passangers...

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Alright, so say the front speakers are 110W and rears are downsized to 80W RMS and the amp puts out 110RMS x 4. Would the rears have a high chance of blowing??

So is pioneer, alpine more reliable as a amp over an Jaycar Response?

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
Fair enough u want to keep the standard head unit, but youll bet much better sound quality and a greater range of sound adjustment from an aftermarket head unit. There are aftermarket fascias available for VY as well as steering wheel control harnesses so the steering wheel buttons still work and most new head units now have input for steering wheel controls.

+1 for speakers in the parcel shelf. youll get some nice bass from that. just disconnect the rear door speakers and run them to 6x9s on the shelf.

I dont know what jaycar amps are like, but if i were looking for an amp id try s/hand for brands like alpine, pioneer etc cos theres plenty out there for less than new.

I suggest a head unit and 4 speakers first. if its not loud enough then go an amp.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Have been running a jarcar amp for 8years with no issues.

The original list U have is fine and matched well, but there is no room for movement if U want to upgrade to bigger rms speakers later. That's the only thing i would look at upping now is ur amp if U can afford it.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Don't worry about rms ratings too much. As long as it's a 4 channel amp, it'll be fine. I run 200wrms+ through speakers rated at 70 wrms with no issues. As efect said. There's nothing wrong with jaycar amps.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Lots of people say the jay car amps are the best budget amps to buy so you'll be fine with that.
As long as your amp is rated equal or higher then speakers rms out put you should be right.
You can buy a processor that will make your oem deck sound just as good as any aftermarket deck but cost is probably a bit much for what your after.
Have you thought about getting some sound deadening?

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Ah ok, i forgot about the parcel shelf aye. I was just thinking, another option could be to run 4 speakers + 1 amp then depending if there isn't loud enough i could upgrade to 6 speakers by using the parcel shelf, and adding another amp, while upgrading the power cable and maybe a head unit..

Im set on Jaycar Response amp now...

Is it easier to install everything at once? I have no idea on the order of installing an audio system, including running new wires, fuses and what not

Have you thought about getting some sound deadening?

Yeap sure have, want to get rid of any small rattles n **** too.