Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ve wheel studs fit on a vx hub

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VX hubs are complete with bearings, so as I stated, would require re-drilling and re seating of the 14X1.5 studs in the VX hubs....I also mentioned I couldn't recommend a place in NZ, but immortality may....

So I have mentioned the solution already and you seem to have missed it totally

I'm not sure on the legality of doing such a mod without engineering input here in NZ.

TBH, I don't see the need. First we need to find out what thread engagement he has and if not than longer studs would be the answer rather than fitting larger studs. Fairly sure the wheels on our Calais are from a VE and there is plenty of thread engagement with the factory lug nuts.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
VX hubs are complete with bearings, so as I stated, would require re-drilling and re seating of the 14X1.5 studs in the VX hubs....I also mentioned I couldn't recommend a place in NZ, but immortality may....

So I have mentioned the solution already and you seem to have missed it totally
Yes and I mentioned the fact I don't think the studs will go into the holes with the bearing in the way. They go in from the back side you realize?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to put an end to the arguments. This is a Commodore front bearing hub. The studs can be pressed out as there is a cut out on the rear mounting flange for this purpose.
330de0d5-d665-420e-8368-d33dad542426.jpeg

What I didn't realise is the hole in the hub for the stud is bigger than the stud diameter. If you press one out and measure it you may find that the 14mm stud has a similar diameter and may just press in. A quick trip to repco who stock spare studs would soon answer that question.

/argument over

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope. VE studs will not fit without machining and I would not machine it as there isn't enough material for it to be structurally sound.

https://www.holdspares.com.au/holden-commodore-front-wheel-stud-set-of-5-vt2-vu

HOLDEN COMMODORE WHEEL STUDS
  • FOR VT SERIES TWO VX VY VZ MODELS
  • ALSO STATESMAN WH WK WL
  • FOR THE FRONT HUBS ONLY
  • THIS IS FOR A SET OF 5
  • THREAD SIZE 12MM X 1.5 MM
  • KNURL DIAMETER 14.3
  • TOTAL LENGTH 48.4 MM
  • SHOULDER 8.0 MM

https://www.holdspares.com.au/holden-ve-vf-commodore-standard-wheel-stud-set-fro

HOLDEN COMMODORE STANDARD WHEEL STUD SET

• FOR VE AND VF MODELS ONLY
  • WILL SUIT FRONT AND REAR
  • THIS IS FOR FIVE STUDS ONLY
  • THREAD SIZE M14X 1.5 MM METRIC THREAD
  • KNURL DIAMETER 15.70 MM
  • LENGTH 58.00 MM
  • SHOULDER 13.6 MM
****, Now I'm been a googleologist just to stop these petty arguments!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes and I mentioned the fact I don't think the studs will go into the holes with the bearing in the way. They go in from the back side you realize?

I had no idea :confused:

Perhaps re-read my very first post relating to this topic...Might help you a bit

To fit VE studs into a VX hub, the hub would have to be drilled out to suit the thicker VE stud....

The only thing that has been clarified is it wouldn't be ideal to actually drill them out and fit the thicker stud

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Why is it …….. ?
New members pose questions which result in a discussion as to what is, or isn't, but the OP remains quiet on the subject with no further input or acknowledgment :confused: ?

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
I wonder why the VX studs are too short, and the only reason i can think of is that because the centre bore of the VE wheel is 66.9mm and the centre bore on your VX hub is 69.5mm, your wheels are possibly not mounted on the hub and are therefore not hub centric.

If that is the case the load of your entire car is supported by your studs instead of by the hub (which they are not engineered to do), and because the rims are not centered and supported your studs will flex back and fourth until they snap in a short period of time, causing your wheels to come off. That could easily cause a fatal accident.

P155 em off is my 2c

Last edited:

vxfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais series 2 5.7ltr
I am currently running ve wheels on my vx and I have noticed that there isn't a lot of thread that the lug nut holds onto, so I was wondering if ve wheels studs would fit on a vx hub, or could someone please point me in the right direction to get longer wheel studs?

vxfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais series 2 5.7ltr
I am currently running ve wheels on my vx and I have noticed that there isn't a lot of thread that the lug nut holds onto, so I was wondering if ve wheels studs would fit on a vx hub, or could someone please point me in the right direction to get longer wheel studs?
I'm running ve ss rims on my vx calais and the centre's have to be drilled out and new tapered nuts available from holden to replace old nuts that don't screw in correctly. nothing else to do

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400